What Are These Wounds?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Gina Maloney, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Gina Maloney

Gina Maloney Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2013
    I just noticed my barred rock rooster's right thigh is bright red and feathers are missing there no open wounds. Is this molting? He does not have any redness anywhere else

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2013
  2. Gina Maloney

Sep 12, 2013
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  3. Gina Maloney

Sep 12, 2013
    The Plymouth Rock Breeders thread

AThe other leg is fine , he does not limp and didnt mind me touching it . I sprayed vetercyn spray on it. Should I put him antibiotics? Im not sure

4. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    Looks to me like he may have been fighting....are there other male bids around? It doesn't look like molting to me

It's red, but not bloody, so as long as the other birds aren't picking/pecking at it, he should heal up fine on his own. I don't like given meds to birds unless its a last ditch effort to save one

1 person likes this.
  5. Gina Maloney

Sep 12, 2013
    Thank you so much, I have 2 more roosters and 2 ducks. The ducks like to pick on him occasionally, he is the smallest of all my birds. The other roo actually protects him from the ducks.

6. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    you might cage him up alone for a week or so and see if it heals up and goes away....likely from fighting as males will go at each other "feet first", often tearing off feathers and "skinning their shins"

1 person likes this.
  7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It looks like he has been feather picked, and I would spray on BluKote to mask the redness of his skin.

8. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Wash it with soap and water, pat dry and spray blucote. It has antiseptic properties and the blue color will keep the others from picking at him. Repeat everyday until healed or at least scabbed over.

Is he pecking at it or are the other chickens pecking at it? If he is pecking at it check him closely for mites or lice. Something is bothering him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by