What are these?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Nubiansrus, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Nubiansrus

Nubiansrus Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2008
    Ive been learning my different kids of breeds of chickens here in the last six months. But never seen anything like these... they were at the feed store for very cheap today, someone just dumped them, so the feed store was getting rid of them cheap. Anyone have a guess on breed? Age? hen or roosters? Got seven total... tell me there some rare awesome hen lol

The feed store said the guy was wanting eggs so she thought they were hens...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    look like EE mixes ansd maybe the last 2 are buff rocks ??

There are a few roosters int eh bunch . The one in the second pic is a roo

3. Nubiansrus

Oct 28, 2008
    Quote:Whats EE?

4. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

It looks like you might have 2 silverlaced wyandottes there and a buff orpington. The others could be easter eggers.

5. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    EE stands for Easter Egger

6. the simple life

An easter egger is a mutt chicken that lays a colored egg, most of the time but not always.
    They are come in a big variety of colors and can be really pretty.
    I have a couple myself and although they were flighty when they were younger they settled down nicely.
    They can lay a green or blue egg, sometimes a pinkish one.
    Purebreds like ameraucanas and araucanas lay only the blue eggs, the easter egger is a cross that carries the blue egg gene.
    I copied and pasted a couple of blurbs that I was able to find in the search engine.

The Easter Egg Chicken is not an actual breed; the term refers to any bird that lays colored eggs. The vast majority of birds sold as "Araucanas" or "Ameraucanas" are actually neither. Instead, they are mixed breeds with no APA (American Poultry Association) Standard that lay colored eggs, ranging from bluish and greenish to pinkish-brown, and sometimes even tan, gray or white.

Easter Eggers" are hybrids that carry the blue-egg gene of the true Araucana breed.

hatcheries (misleadingly) sell these as "Ameraucanas," "Americanas" or sometimes "Araucanas;" however, only breeders can provide true Ameraucanas or Araucanas at this time.

7. Nubiansrus

Oct 28, 2008
    Quote:Thank you for this info [​IMG]

8. the simple life

No problem, I think you are going to have some beautiful birds when they all grow up and if they lay colored eggs even better!!

9. the simple life

I wanted to add that the first picture of them in the box, there is one right in the corner, but the one directly behind it that is black with a little whitish coloring in the wings but more around the neck and has a rosecomb, I think is a silverlaced wyandotte.
    I think you have two of them in the mix there.
    I have two of them myself and they look just like them as chicks.

10. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Quote:I see a couple of each. The first one you're holding looks like a rooster, second one hen, third one roo, and last one hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by