What are these?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lisag1288, May 9, 2016.

1. lisag1288

lisag1288 New Egg

Mar 20, 2013
    [​IMG]
    Hello everyone. When I bought these chickens at tractor Supply, I was told they were broilers. After watching them c
    grow for awhile, they are obviously not Cornish X. I called the store and they told me they might be Leghorns. I was under the impression that Leghorns, even the different colors have white ear lobes? These guys have red ear lobes. Could these be Freedom Rangers? Any help will be greatly appreciated! they are 8 weeks old. Seem to be good foragers. We have them in a chicken tractor set up.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    They appear to be a "ranger" type broiler - often sold as red rangers, etc. They are not as fast developing as Cornish X so are more appropriate for processing around 14-16 weeks vs the 8(ish) of Cornish X.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Agree with the above, they're a red slow broiler.

4. lisag1288

lisag1288 New Egg

Mar 20, 2013
    Thanks for your input. I don't want to dispatch a good laying chicken if that is what I have. I considered adding them in with my laying hens but I've read that the cost of feed for that type of bird can get very expensive.

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Some folks do use them as laying birds - they make a good dual purpose flock but are not *as* productive as hens bred specifically for production and they aren't quite as efficient, but it isn't nearly the same as feeding fast broilers.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with OlGreyMare's posts

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That's where you'll just have to decide for yourself. There are folks who have held hens of that type over and they've made decent layers. Not stellar like your production birds, but decent enough. The flip side is they're bigger and eat a lot more than say a red sex link. Some folks are okay with that, some need the birds to be more cost effective.

And just cause I see you've got at least one cockerel, the posts I've read where folks tried to keep a broiler male with their production layer hens doesn't always end well. The roosters get pretty darn large, and they also seem to be aggressive maters, so the hens wind up taking things pretty hard. Just something to think about.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by