what are these?!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lux_interior, May 18, 2009.

1. lux_interior

lux_interior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    Joliet
    They were bought at a feed store in Chicago... I don't know the breed or gender... I know it'll be easier to figure out both when they are older... but I hope someone has a clue?! I've heard either black giant or australorps, but those chicks seem to have more white on them than mine... ??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ewe Mama2

Ewe Mama2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Northeastern Ohio
    My guess is Australorp or possibly Silver Laced Wyandotte (they usually have a few more lighter spots, though).

3. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    They're not wyandottes. SLWs have a very different down pattern, and they'd have a rose comb.

4. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I got some almost just like that from our Tractor Supply. People on here also said they could be Jersey Giants or Australorpes, but they didn't look exactly the same as those breeds. Mine turned out to be beautiful black sex link pullets! If yours start getting a faint amount of brown/red feathering on the chests then that's what they are!

5. sahminaz

sahminaz Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2009
    Black sumatra?

6. Andora

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Here is one of my sex links as a little chick.

[​IMG]

Some of them had a lot of white on their bellies and some didn't. The white areas came in with red feathers!

7. minna

minna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Burnsville, MS
    My guess is sex link pullet. Definitely not SLW.

8. lux_interior

lux_interior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    Joliet
    I hope so! I wanted hens when I bought them, and I was taking a chance to see what sex they would turn out to be... If they are Black sex links, they'd definitely be females right? because they don't have a white spot on their heads?

9. Andora

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Quote:Yes, I believe so! Mine were all pullets, and they didn't have a white spot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by