1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What are these?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sevenbabychicks, Sep 9, 2010.

1. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    Hi! I ordered two blue andalusians, a salmon faverolle, an easter egger, a jersey giant, a light brahma, and a "random assorted rare breed". The first picture is of the "brahma"; I think they ran out and gave me a silver-laced wayandotte. She's already the alpha and feathering out faster than any of the others. The second is the random one - i can't find any pictures online that resemble her! She's super sweet and kinda dumb. Any ideas?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. clacasse88

clacasse88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Where did you order them from? I received a mystery batch from MPC the beginning of July. The 2nd chick is 'identical' to one of the chicks I received. I'm still stumped at 9 weeks. I'll try to post a picture tomorrow. It has feathered out all black but is now looking a bit roo-ish.

Hopefully someone will have an answer . . . [​IMG]

3. sevenbabychicks

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    I ordered mine from there, too! Please post a pic of yours - I'm anxious to see what she (hopefully) will turn into!

4. bragabit

bragabit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Southern Utah
    I think the first one is a Silver Spangled Hamburg- White w/ Black, and the slate legs and dark eyes. They are beautiful hens and fantastic layers.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    The second one looks like an Easter Egger. The first could be a hamburg or your Brahma. Hatchery quality Brahmas are quite varying - Does it have fuzzy legs?

6. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I hatched a chick the same color as the second one and it ended up silver pencilled. Mine was an EE.
    What kind of comb does the first one have?

7. sevenbabychicks

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    The first doesn't have fuzzy legs; a hamburg makes sense. she's already developing a lean and flighty look... however, she's one of the biggest of the chicks and doesn't have a rose comb (can you tell at 1.5 weeks?).

perhaps the second is an easter egger! however, she's much smaller than my other one, and doesn't have a muff.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by