What are these?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Scovy Momma, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Scovy Momma

Scovy Momma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2012
    Sacramento CA
    I went to the Stockton Poultry show & fell in love with these tiny guys! So many colors!
    I just forgot what they were,there was so many breeds I wanted to bring home!
    [​IMG]
    I might like this or a Serama. Any thoughts on which are a calmer or quieter breed? I saw all the little kids there carrying these guys around.
    I've only had standard sized chickens since I was little,never had bantams.
    Sorry if I sound like a chicken noob,lol!

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    They're Modern Games.

That one up front must be pretty young too as normally in shows the male should be completely dubbed (comb and wattles removed) to give it a wild-shorebird type look in the face.

They do come in many colors [​IMG] A big part of seeing so many though is that they're pretty popular, whereas many other breeds who also come in an array of colors just aren't common or well known enough in those other colors to be seen in shows.

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    moderen games, me i like the oegb myself though :) dont know who is calmer and quiter between them and sermas. games usally come in many different colors to

4. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Seramas are bred to be calm and to stand on a table top. So, the ones you see at shows will be extremely tame and calm. You have to work with them, though, just like any other breed. Moderns can also be just as tame and they are easy to train. My 8 year old son loves his Moderns.

If you want to show them, then In my opinion, you should look at the pros and cons of each breed. For example: White Seramas are the only ones recognized by the ABA. They do have their own meets, though, If you're lucky enough to be close to where some of those are held you can show any color varieties at them.

The only drawbacks to Moderns are that the roosters have to be dubbed for show and they have to be kept relatively warm in the winter.

5. Scovy Momma

Scovy Momma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2012
    Sacramento CA
    Illia,Hdowden,Juliechick~
    You all are awesome,thanks! My pops sent me the picture after he & I went to Stockton Saturday but I didn't get a name.
    I think I'd like to raise a couple. I probably wouldn't be able to afford show birds,but they'd still be loved & spoiled like everyone else in my house!
    I know I ask a lot but you all are so informative!
    I was wanting to know if they would do well raised predominantly indoors & if they get along if I were to raise a Serama in the same pen. Due to neighbor problems (hopefully moving soon) I just didn't want to risk something happening to the birds if I had them outside.

Hdowden,
    I do like the way the Old English look also! Maybe I should get one of those,too...I can see it was dangerous for me to go see so many chickens...[​IMG]

6. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

if u get them all as chicks and raise them togeather they should get along fine. if not they will peck each other till the pecking order is astablished

7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    lol its dangerous for me to even be into chickens and expecially hatching ( oh i have the hatching fever oh no lol) my oegb is hatchery and a millie but his coloring isnt that great most of his hackles are solid white and he has several other flaws but i love him non the less. i'm getting 2 hens to go with him here in 2-2.5 weeks as i need to get my d'uccles in their own pen and that would mean he would be lonly and i dont want that for my lil boy.

raising them together would be the best bet. there will always be little scabbles over the pecking order but less when they are raised together. also keep in mind that you need more hens than roosters [​IMG]. i would only get 2 hens but i seen 3 that i like and will be getting lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by