1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What are these?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SirUlrichsMom, Dec 12, 2012.

1. SirUlrichsMom

SirUlrichsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2012
    Slower Lower Delaware
    Back in May or June i was given some baby chicks someone hatched for a school project, they where not sure what they are and ime not sure what exactly they are but they look like some kind of mix of something.
    they are all very similar looking but at the same time different.
    [​IMG]
    this is one of them (i love the red and yellow on the cheeks)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

full body shot of the same one its larger than three of them.

[​IMG]
    another of them (i noticed the green on the cheeks recently??)
    [​IMG]
    body shot of that one (this one is smaller)

[​IMG]
    this is the red from the last pic and 2 of the others i got with it the one in front is solid black and one in black if you look close is black with a bit of red around the neck just under its head. these ones are smaller than the first red one and the barred one.
    [​IMG]
    this is the last of the lot, its also the biggest. it this is the best shot i have of it, its camera shy. (it has the yellow and red cheeks too) this one is about the same size as my amish chickens and my black sexlinks.

if you have any ideas what they are or what kind of mix they might be im interested in finding out. also if you can tell what sex they are, they are about 5-6 months old

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    the first and last birds are roos the others are hen and they are silkie mixes

3. NosiphoChooks

NosiphoChooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2012
    The hackle feathers on the top rooster look like my old cream crested legbar's.

4. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    the 2 barred chicks are roosters, looks like they have some silkie in them, do any of them have 5 toes?

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Someone top-hatted mated with someone with barring. Since the two boys are barred, they could be sex links, or it could be coincidence.

6. SirUlrichsMom

Aug 21, 2012
    Slower Lower Delaware
    What about those things on their cheeks? I think they are neat but what are they?

7. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    beard/muffs

here is a good picture of a beard on a silkie (from feathersite.com)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  8. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    they all do not have 5 toes

the 1st and 2nd are cockerels. all the girls however do look like they have silkie in them the cockerels i lean more towards a polish or something else along that line

9. SirUlrichsMom

Aug 21, 2012
    Slower Lower Delaware
    Thats what i was kind of thinking, but i wasnt sure. the little girls have a kinda light grayish color skin, a friend of mine mentioned that silkies have black skin. of them only one has 5 toes tho. the first and last have white skin(i finally got ahold of the one black and white barred one today and got a look).
    thanks for the help.

10. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Are the legs feathered? If so, I would say its a good chance they are silkie mixes. If they are not feathered, you may still have silkie mixes, or it's possible they are bearded polish mixes. The first and last ones are roos.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by