What are these???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mt19, Jan 2, 2013.

1. mt19

mt19 New Egg

Jan 2, 2013
    I bought them when they were 2 weeks thinking they were leghorn chickens. Their now 21 weeks old (females) and they haven't developed and comb ?
    It's been 2 weeks and she's being screaming constantly non- stop really loud!!
    I've tried everything the food, temperature everything seems normal. I'm not sure why she does not stop screaming, is it because she's about to lay or something else. Please I need some advice !
    Thank you.... [​IMG]

2. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    that appears to be a Guinea or guinea/chicken mix? Someone else correct me if i am wrong

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  3. Mehjr10

Mehjr10 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Moscow, TN
    Guinea

4. mt19

mt19 New Egg

Jan 2, 2013
    I've never heard of that breed?
    Do they lay eggs and why are they making so much noise
    Thankyou for your reply.

5. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
  6. mt19

mt19 New Egg

Jan 2, 2013
    I just googled the breed. I'm gob smacked
    The farmer gave them to me saying they were leghorns!

May you please describe their characteristics and a bit of info about them please.
    Really appreciate your help

7. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

They're not chickens! If it's a guinea/chicken mix, it will be sterile, though yours looks pure guinea. They're a different type of domesticated (or not so much in their case) poultry, well known for the loud noises they make. They do make great flock protectors for chickens, though.

8. mt19

mt19 New Egg

Jan 2, 2013
    So they won't lay eggs. They have been troubling us for 2 weeks screaming non stop!

9. Mehjr10

Mehjr10 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Moscow, TN
    Guinea Hens are Fowl but not a chicken. They are vocal and great watch dogs, i have 6 and if anything comes into the yard they will let you know. They do lay eggs. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/312682/raising-guinea-fowl-101 Here is a link and you can search more on the site.

They are interesting birds, and if you incubate the eggs assuming you have a male with the girls, the keets (babies) usually sell well. $5 ea in our area.
    '

Link did not work for me, search Guineas and read the guinea 101 thread first..

They are not sterile if you have a male.

Good Luck

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  10. mt19

mt19 New Egg

Jan 2, 2013
    Thank you all for your help :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by