1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What are these

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by huntersdad, Oct 6, 2013.

1. huntersdad

huntersdad New Egg

Aug 16, 2013
    Daleville,al
    I had a guy on Craigslist give me some hatching eggs that were supposed to be Buff Orpington but I think he was wrong and now I can't get in touch with him [​IMG][​IMG]. [​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I would guess that they are barnyard crosses - not Buff Orpingtons.

3. huntersdad

huntersdad New Egg

Aug 16, 2013
    Daleville,al
    I know the black one for sure isn't. I can't find a close match either

4. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Does the black one have muffs? Craigslist isn't always a very reliable place to get eggs from, I would guess as sourland said, they are probably barnyard crosses.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  5. huntersdad

huntersdad New Egg

Aug 16, 2013
    Daleville,al
    It does seem to have a puff of feathers where its ears are. The reason why I got the eggs from craigslist was I had found a post that said buff Orpington laying hens for sale so I asked the man if he had any Eggs that he would sell but he gave them to me for free. Only problem is I was off at drill that weekend so I had my wife go by and get the eggs I never asked her how many different kinds of chicken he had running around

6. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

He could be some kind of Easter Egger cross then. What color eggs did they hatch from?

7. huntersdad

huntersdad New Egg

Aug 16, 2013
    Daleville,al
    Came from a brown eggs it is just from the far side of the color spectrum than what I was expecting

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  8. huntersdad

huntersdad New Egg

Aug 16, 2013
    Daleville,al
    I got in touch with the guy that I got the eggs from he told me that he saw a Polish rooster coming across the fence so I guess I have half Polish half Buff Orpington chicks The chipmunk looking chick is also getting wing feathers the same color as the black chick. Which is a black and brown checkered pattern

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by