what are these??

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by wolfshandler, Jan 28, 2014.

1. wolfshandler

wolfshandler New Egg

Jan 28, 2014
    i've only just begun my life with chickens......up to this point it's been traveling the world, raising c hildren, working with dogs, etc......and now i have chickens! today i rescued four from our local shelter - they were picked up as "strays" - i think that's just a riot. anyway, here are pictures of them - i cannot find them in my books (only two) - can someone identify them for me??? thanks!
    wolfshandler[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    i realize these aren't the greatest pictures, but it's not easy getting chickens to stand still for a photo-shoot!

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hi there, [​IMG]and welcome to BYC!

Great that you could rescue these adorable birds! I have no idea what breeds they are, but I am sure someone will come along shortly with an answer for you. If they don't, you can always post these pics in the What Breed or Gender section here of BYC for some answers....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

So glad you could join and enjoy BYC!

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us! Its great that you rescued these chickens! They all look like Silkie mixes; not pure-breeds, but adorable all the same!

4. raph

raph Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2012
    The gold ones could almost be gold tops, but I'm not sure about the silver one. A gold top is a cross of a Sussex and a silkie

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you. All of your birds look like Silkie mixes to me. It looks like you have three pullets and a cockerel (the orange and gold one).

6. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! I agree they look to be Silkie crosses.

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Pretty birds, agree it looks like you have silkie crosses, 1 boy, 3 girls.

8. wolfshandler

wolfshandler New Egg

Jan 28, 2014
    wow, thanks for the replies! we thought they were all silkie mixes too, after pouring over pictures.......the giveaway for us is that they all have feathers on their feet....they've been very sweet all day, putting up with being confined for a bit while we "cleaned" them up.....PU! now they're snoozing...i'm really looking forward to the big meeting with my other girls (and one rooster)......how do two roosters get along?? i hope they won't fight.......

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Please quarantine the rescued chickens for at least 30 days. They could be carrying diseases that would wipe out your flock. Do examine them well for lice, and mites and they probably need a worming.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by