What are these?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by robgray, Jan 10, 2015.

1. robgray

robgray Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2014
    California
    Hi, my unknown chicks are older now, does anyone know what they could be besides mutts? Sold to me as hatching eggs- lav orps
    [​IMG][/IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Could they just be black orps? maybe split to Lav? if that is what they were trying to breed?

3. robgray

robgray Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2014
    California
    That would be nice. Do black orp chicks have yellow belly?

4. collingwood

collingwood Chillin' With My Peeps

I have no idea but it looks cute!

5. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Could be an Orpington....hard to tell yet.

As to color...the feathersite has the best pics of the different Orpington colors as chicks. http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGK/Orps/BRKOrps.html

My batch of Marans were from black cooper and blue copper with the possibility of a splash being mixed in too...of the 5 eggs that developed, I got an assortment of 3 black, one splash (which unfortunately died as a chick) which was yellow at hatch with smokey smudges...and one blue (which also died at hatch) was a grey/blue as a chick.

The breeder warned me I would get about half black, 25% blue and 25% splash from the hatching eggs.

I suspicion Lavender is a color like blue or the splash...you will get variations in color with the hatch as the genetics simply fall that way....so some will come out black, some blue, some splash.

I don't know if you purchased the chicks or the hatching eggs, but if eggs, the breeder would have no control over what you actually got.

Others with stronger genetics can give you a better accuracy of how it works.

HTH

Lady of McCamley

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  6. XxMingirlxX

XxMingirlxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    X2

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X3

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x4

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  9. StarMeKritten

StarMeKritten Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2013
    Moore County, NC
    Lavender requires two copies of the recessive lavender gene in order for the color to show. If you breed lavender to something else, you'll get a black chicken that carries a recessive lavender gene. This is described as being "split" for lavender. If you take two chickens that are split for lavender and breed them together, only 25% will show the lavender color.

If you were sold lavender orpington hatching eggs, you should have hatched lavender orps. The rules of blue/ black/ splash breeding do not apply. Lavender crossed with lavender will only give you lavender chicks. This is why lavender is also sometimes referred to as "self blue". Unless the breeder specified that you could get some that were just split for lavender, you definitely did not get what you paid for. This chick is definitely not the result of breeding a lavender orpington with another lavender orpington.

1 person likes this.
  10. StarMeKritten

StarMeKritten Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2013
    Moore County, NC
    Oh, I should've added that it's entirely possible that your chick is still a pure breed orpington. It's just a black one instead. I would be contacting the breeder though. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by