What are they doing?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by rainplace, Nov 19, 2009.

1. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

What the heck are muscovies doing when they do this:

2. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    shake ur tail feather...... [​IMG]

3. LoreenH

LoreenH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Oregon
    I've heard that's one reason people like their scovies.....'cause they wag their tails.

4. rainplace

That's the reason I've sorta fallen for this drake. I still can't get over how ugly he is, but darn if he isn't cute following me around the yard shaking that tail of his. I just wish I knew what he was saying with all the bobbing and wiggling.

5. suburbanduckmom

suburbanduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Belmont, CA
    Any one else think of the Hokey Pokey when they do this?

6. pardygwyn

pardygwyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Film description says they're getting ready to fight. It reminds me of the elaborate territorial displays swans put on sometimes... muscovies are such strange ducks. [​IMG]

7. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Head bob & tail wag w/accompanying vocalizations = "I'm bad, I'm bad, I'm badder'n you!" [​IMG]
    Scovy pecking order. I've seen both male and females do this and sometimes it does end in a fight. Boy's fighting, girls fighting and sometimes boy and girl fight if one doesn't back down ooor the girl says "No! I'm not interested." [​IMG] The older breeding girls do this with eachother quite a bit. Every morning and most every time they see eachother after they've been in different areas of the yard and come back together. Scovies! Ya, gotta love'em. [​IMG]

8. pardygwyn

Nov 14, 2009
    Mallard-based ducks often put on a show when they regroup, too, though how energetic it is seems to depend on the breed. Theirs involves a lot of headbobbing, sneezing sounds and beak-pointing from the males, and accompanying "insults" flung over the shoulders of the females that seem to mainly serve to inflate her chosen male's head. LOL When I said Muscovies were odd ducks, it was because the style of their display reminds me so much more strongly of swans than ducks. [​IMG]

9. rainplace

So I believe that maybe they are about to fight or something, but my guy is always doing that head bob wag tail thing. Even when he is alone in the coop preening. When I pull up in my car he's doing that same thing sitting down. It's like bizzaro world he's so funny looking. It has to mean something else too... no?

10. pardygwyn

Nov 14, 2009
    I think Keeperofthehearth's explanation of the displays was the best - he's showing off, he's feeling his oats, he's baaaaaad stuff. ;D The displays I was talking about in mallard-derived ducks happen in more than just fight or standoff situations, too. I've come to the conclusion over the years that ducks enjoy being a bit extravagant. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by