what are they doing?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Theicequeen, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Theicequeen

Theicequeen Songster

Mar 22, 2010
    Pa
    when i go into the pen with my girls some of them will kind of squish down on the ground, put their wings out (kind of like when they are hot), and they have their tail arched. now i think i might have an idea of what it is but i am not sure. They let me pet them and will sit there for the longest time for me to pet them.

Also when i go in they will start carrying on, kind of like they are complaining, is this good complaining or bad? they dont attack me or anything but they sound like they are yelling at me,lol

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    They are squatting for you, as they would for a rooster. If you aren't getting eggs yet, chances are you will be soon.

My hens all complain to me when I go out to their yard. I make a hissing sound and they all shut up instantaneously. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member 9 Years

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    They are inviting you to mate them. If they are not laying, they soon will be.

4. Theicequeen

Theicequeen Songster

Mar 22, 2010
    Pa
    that is what i thought, and good cause my younger girls are starting to do it so cool more eggs. yes i am getting eggs from about 8 of my girls already.

I will have to try hissing at them next time,lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: