What are they trying to do??? Eat me???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by blueberrychickens, Aug 15, 2010.

1. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    My 9 week olds love it when I bring them treats to snack on. My question is that when the treats are gone, they jump in my lap & love to peck at my clothes & scratch on my shoes. Sometimes they peck at my ankles...it hurts!!! Why are they pecking at me???? They are all girls. I'd like for this behavior to stop before they draw blood. Any advice or are they trying to eat me alive?!? [​IMG]

2. Jasmine1998

Jasmine1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2010
    Montgomery County
    Nip it in the bud. The older they get the more it will hurt & it you let them know now that they cannot do this then it will make things alot easier for you in the future.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    They are looking for protein-Don't fall down in the pen. Stay tuned in for reruns of "Death in the Broiler House."[​IMG]

4. atimme

atimme Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    Chicago
    Let them know you need your space. Act like a big chicken, puff up, growl, and run at them. [​IMG]

5. detali

detali Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    I have somewhat the same experience. My 7 week old chicks love to jump up into my lap. One even settled down like she was going to take a nap. One jumped on my head. I was just their replacement mamma hen since the broody that hatched them is back to laying eggs again and has deserted them. I loved it UNTIL....after they were done eating their snack one pooped on my lap, then another one did it before I could get away. WATCH OUT.

6. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    When they start seeing you as part of the snack it is time to nip it. I brush mine away if they peck at clothing or my shoes....basically anything that belongs to my person. You won`t see any of the flock peck at your head roo or head hen (and get away with it) and that role should ultimately be yours. Coming for a nice feather rub or sit on the lap is a different thing.

7. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    After treats mine just use me for a napkin.

8. Pineywoods Peepers

Pineywoods Peepers Certified Poultry Accruer

How do you nip the pecking without making the afraid of you?

9. eggcited2

eggcited2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Illinois
    Quote:Good question, I am glad you asked it. I'd like to know too.

10. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I always tell my hubby that if he isn't careful one day I am going to put him in the back yard covered in kernals of corn. I'd give the chickens ten minutes, then no more hubby!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by