What are they? update new pic

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Nichole77, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Nichole77

Nichole77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    Arizona
    I bought these pullets at the feed store because they were just so cute. I wanted to add a few to my small flock. They are so scared they won't let anyone go near them. I try treats but the older girls run up and snatch them. It's been about 2 months since they have been here and they were supposedly 8 weeks when I got them but they don't look 4 months old to me. They stay together all the time and have not acclimated to the flock. How long is it supposed to take? And what do you think they are? What do you think? Thanks[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  2. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    Not sure on breed, possible EE game cross..One things for sure You have a cockerel and pullet

3. Nichole77

Jul 14, 2007
    Arizona
    No way. They were both supposed to be female. Which one? And could he be sexually mature enough to mess with my layers?

4. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    The darker one clearly is a roo.

There is some sort of game in there, thats for sure.

5. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Quote:I am thinking you would KNOW if he was of mating age. My poor little roo stays so busy with his girls you can't miss it!!!! LOL

6. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    I agree with Game cross guess. The rooster(in left of pic) does look very likely Game EE cross or mix. The other one has Mahogany(makes the color darker) which makes me think it could be Game crossed/mixed with RIR.

They are too far away from the camera to see clearly, it kind of seems the second one may have darker and shiny feathering on wings, shoulders and neck- check to see if any of them end in pointy feathers with extra "shine". If there's a bunch of shiny pointy feathers on the back and wings.. it's a boy also.. The other one most certainly is a young rooster.

They are still youngish and new.. but before long the roosters will be trying to breed your hens. Expect crowing soon also.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  7. Nichole77

Jul 14, 2007
    Arizona
    I got a better pic of the other one. I am beginning to think it's a roo as well. please tell me what you think. It really bothers me because the feed store said that they came from a woman whose HOA made her get rid of them. I only bought 2 but they had about 6. And They were sold as started pullets.[​IMG]

8. Jades Chickens

Jades Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Sno.co.Wa.
    It sure looks like they both are roosters to me. [​IMG]

9. annrich

annrich Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    Western NY
    look like roos to me too.

10. Nichole77

Jul 14, 2007
    Arizona
    Thank you. The store offered me less than what I paid. They said they aren't responsible for what their employees say.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by