What are they?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sleighty, Jun 20, 2016.

1. sleighty

sleighty New Egg

Jun 20, 2016
    Hi. I'm new to the site. Have just bought some ducklings and only ever wanted runners, to now realise these are not runners! Can anybody advise what these look like? I've been told they were 3/4 weeks old and I've had them a week now. [​IMG]

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

well you've got some crested and probably some pekins

3. sleighty

sleighty New Egg

Jun 20, 2016
    I've contacted who I've got them from and they said they'd either be crossed with Aylesbury or Cayuga. Can you see this?

4. Jucodeo

Jucodeo The Sky is Falling!

Jun 15, 2016
    [​IMG] and [​IMG]
    Hey sleighty! Since you are new to chickens I will leave you the link to the most prominent learning area on this site our Learning Center a place with updated articles for old and new chicken raisers! https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center I hope you enjoy BYC and make sure to post pictures of your flock and give us updates on how you are doing here https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/40/family-life-stories-pictures-updates

As for the ducks they look to me very like Aylesbury so that would be your best bet I would say confidently they are Aylesbury! I think there is similarity...
    [​IMG]
    I am happy you were able to go and get a flock of your own that is so nice! All the best of luck to you and your flock!
    Justin [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  5. sleighty

sleighty New Egg

Jun 20, 2016
    Thank you very much Justin!
    Yes they look identical! [​IMG]

6. Jucodeo

Jucodeo The Sky is Falling!

Jun 15, 2016
    It is my pleasure to help a fellow chicken and duck enthusiast! I am so happy I could help and make sure you keep posting update on you and your ducks!

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. sleighty

sleighty New Egg

Jun 20, 2016
    I've lost two in less than a week! Only got these 6 last Wednesday, one died the day after and I nursed a little one last night..it died this morning. This one was half the size of the others and noticed yesterday it was struggling to walk and very lethargic. Brought it in and it was eating and drinking very well but still died.
    Is this normal to loose 2 out of six? Am I found something wrong? It's breaking my heart [​IMG]

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Please post on the "Duck thread," sometimes ducklings suffer from a niacin deficiency and have problems walking etc. The duck folks would be best at advising what course to follow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by