.. what are they??

Discussion in 'Quail' started by EricShane, May 14, 2011.

1. EricShane

EricShane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    SouthWestern Ohio
    I bought 6 coturnix quail off a man from Craigslist a few months back, and I really love them! But Only four of them are regular coturnix quail for sure.. the other two im not so sure but here are thier pictures.. tell me what you think..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Pharaoh, Red Tuxedo, Pharaoh, Rosetta British Range, and Pharaoh again. The red tux is nice!

3. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    your red tuxedo colored bird is pretty. nice birds. good luck!

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    They Are All Coturnix Just Different Colors

5. EricShane

Apr 12, 2009
    SouthWestern Ohio
    Awesome thanks everyone I have saved 22 eggs from them this well that I think I might incubate what would happen if the red tux amd the pharaoh mated

6. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:"pharoah" is simply the wild color and smaller sized Coturnix.Not sure of the dominant genetics with the reds or the Rosettas but generally the "wild color" is dominant genetically so you will get them...split to the others( as in they have the genetics but they wont show in the offspring) maybe ? I THINK to get Tux you need to have BOTH parents visible for Tux( Tuxedo X Tuxedo)

7. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Basically you will get a bunch of mixed colored birds. It's tough to produce color but like Mhc says they will carry the genes and be splits for other colors.a pharaoh and a red tux can produce some roux dilutes. Within a red tux, there is scarlett,red range, roux, and white... So a lot of possibilities.

8. EricShane

Apr 12, 2009
    SouthWestern Ohio
    Quote:wow I would love to get some white ones! --- it seems like quail around here are very hard to come by, I have tons of people all the time begging to buy my 6 from me everytime they find out I have them.. - I would love to get more of my own, so its official, one day this week I will put my eggs in the incubator!

Thanks everyone for everything! You all are so intelligent! I may not post alot, but I read the forum everyday, and Its like I know alot of you but I hardly post! lol

9. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    All the colors are sure pretty [​IMG] I have photos on my website if you need info on identification.

10. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:wow I would love to get some white ones! --- it seems like quail around here are very hard to come by, I have tons of people all the time begging to buy my 6 from me everytime they find out I have them.. - I would love to get more of my own, so its official, one day this week I will put my eggs in the incubator!

Thanks everyone for everything! You all are so intelligent! I may not post alot, but I read the forum everyday, and Its like I know alot of you but I hardly post! lol

You should check with macnugget. He is in Southern Ohio and raises coturnix and buttons among other birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by