what are they?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by coonhoundmama87, Oct 26, 2011.

1. coonhoundmama87

coonhoundmama87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2011
    Wisconsin
    my husband purchased some new ducks for a pretty good deal and for the life of him he can't remember what they are! This is why he's not allowed to buy things on his own again haha. They are very large, atleast twice the size of my khakis and almost the size of my geese! They are all drakes and have grey heads and brown on their breast with a white underbelly. I hope this is enough information otherwise I can try to post a picture if I can get them to stand still and not run from me since they don't like me yet. Thanks!!

2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:Please post a pic [​IMG] I have never heard of such a pretty bird [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Quote:Sounds like Saxony drakes to me. Such pretty birds.

[​IMG]

4. coonhoundmama87

Oct 26, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Saxony, that's it!! [​IMG] Yay!! I'm so glad to know what they are! They are such pretty boys, hoping to get some hens in the spring tho. Thanks for putting the pic up, I tried to get one to upload but this stupid dial-up internet never lets me [​IMG]

5. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Quote:DIAL-UP!! [​IMG]

Wow... that's a huge bummer. I don't think I could ever go back to dial up. Sometimes I get frustrated trying to browse on my smartphone [​IMG] Then I remember it could be dial-up...

6. coonhoundmama87

Oct 26, 2011
    Wisconsin
    yes dial-up, its all we can get out where we are and it sucks! I finally got a avatar pic to go. I'll have to set aside a day just to get some pics up of everything! I can browse on my phone but I can't post pics. Hubby won't update to a better plan or I could do more. We have US Cellular and their new plans are family type plans where if one person wants fancy stuff everyone has to have fancy stuff and he doesn't want any of that [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  7. quackherd

quackherd New Egg

Jun 30, 2011
    I remember dial up, it was all we could get out here in the sticks. Would still be all we could get if I hadn't called Hughes Net, which is a satellite internet service.........was put off by the price when it first became available. Now the prices are much more reasonable. And, as a surprise, when I called and talked to them about purchasing their equipment/services, was informed that areas that had no access to cable or any other computer service except dial up were eligible for a special program under the recovery act(I think that's what they called it). At any rate, the equipment and installation were covered under that act and the only cost to us was/is the monthly access fee, similiar to the dial up costs. I'm loving the speed...........good bye dial up.

8. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Hughes is our only option other than dial-up, too. Gotta love rural living. [​IMG]

9. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    Washington
    I was going to say Saxonys too!

I wanted to add that I really like this breed. Mine have been healthy, vigorous, fertile and easy going ducks. One of my girls hatched 10 ducklings this spring and raised them admirably.

My babies from this spring, still in juvenile plumage, with their mother:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Okay wheres the mother? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by