What are they?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by mochicken, Dec 19, 2011.

1. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Here are three babies I hatched out form Bfrancis's eggs, can anyone tell me what they will be when they feather out? I can see the two will be a red color but what about the chipmunk looking one with the red in it? its the first pic

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    just noticed you cant really see the middle one, its a light red with gray in it, I will post better pics when I can

3. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Cuties!!

The middle one looks a little like my Tibetan's I hatched recently.

4. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
  5. bfrancis

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    Quote:Your starting to get an eye for the fuzz butts! You are semi correct, the Tibetan or British Dark Range was the base color for this baby. You can tell the that by the lack of stripes, basically a solid fuzz and "eye brows".

6. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

Their quail [​IMG]

7. The Critter Place

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Quote:Your starting to get an eye for the fuzz butts! You are semi correct, the Tibetan or British Dark Range was the base color for this baby. You can tell the that by the lack of stripes, basically a solid fuzz and "eye brows".

Thank you!
    It's the "eye brows" they stand out. lol...
    What exactly do you mean by base color? The Hen?

Your Roux looks very different than mine. It's BEAUTIFUL!!!
    I think mine has more of a wild pattern to it.

8. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    The middle one is more red than tibetans, I have tibetans too it seems more like a dull red

9. bfrancis

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma

Thank you!

The base color or perhaps foundation color is what is used to form some of the more unique mutations. Like the wild or Pharaoh color is used as the base for goldens, Italians, or Manchurian...Tibetian or British dark range is used for the Rosetta and such. Quail Lady, Joe, or JJ could explain it better than I. I know the principles and fundamentals and know which birds to breed together for what outcome I'm looking for in the offspring....but stink as genetics educator.

Guess an analogy would be, an artist before starting any painting, will add a single color to the canvas to enhance all other colors that follow....in the quail world the basic canvas' are wild pattern/ Pharaoh, British dark range, and English white...with the wild pattern being the "base color" to all other color mutations that follow.

All that to say this...A Tibetan/British dark range bird was the base color for the scarlet mutation.

Clear as mud? Hope this helps!

10. The Critter Place

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Quote:Thank you!

The base color or perhaps foundation color is what is used to form some of the more unique mutations. Like the wild or Pharaoh color is used as the base for goldens, Italians, or Manchurian...Tibetian or British dark range is used for the Rosetta and such. Quail Lady, Joe, or JJ could explain it better than I. I know the principles and fundamentals and know which birds to breed together for what outcome I'm looking for in the offspring....but stink as genetics educator.

Guess an analogy would be, an artist before starting any painting, will add a single color to the canvas to enhance all other colors that follow....in the quail world the basic canvas' are wild pattern/ Pharaoh, British dark range, and English white...with the wild pattern being the "base color" to all other color mutations that follow.

All that to say this...A Tibetan/British dark range bird was the base color for the scarlet mutation.

Clear as mud? Hope this helps!

Clear as mud! LOL!
    Thank you bfrancis!
    That was actually a very good way of explaining it!

I know about painting, so understand the "base" coat! [​IMG]

I also understand knowing what needs to be done but explaining it is another thing. LOL! So your not alone there. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by