1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what are they?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by strutncrow, Feb 26, 2012.

1. strutncrow

strutncrow Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2012
    i dont know what they really are but here goes. Rooster: single comb, copper neck,red feathers, green tail feathers,yellow legs w/ feathers and 4 toes, brown ears,his wings were clipped when i got him but i can see a couple green feathers on his wings and chest area (just a few).ok now my Hen:the guy said speckled bantam or spangled bantam but i cant find pics that look like her.she is tan/white/black w/ black specks all over[​IMG][​IMG]

2. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Where are you located - US or UK?

The hen looks very gamey to me... do you have a better picture of her from the side? Spangling and speckling are colors, not breeds... color almost looks like (very poor) millie fluer only a wheaten base.

Not sure on the roo... likely mutt, the only thing I can think of is a cochinxpolish/etc. but I don't know if the v comb is dominant.

3. strutncrow

Feb 26, 2012
    im located in Athens,Ga.,US. maybe this will help but also ill post some better pics tomorrow

4. strutncrow

Feb 26, 2012
    for some reason picture didnt get added last post here goes[​IMG][​IMG]

5. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Are you sure the roo has only 4 toes, cause I see 5 on each foot making me think it's a silkie mix. I have a silkie cross that is 1/4 silkie now, but has the same looking legs and crest.

6. strutncrow

Feb 26, 2012
    your right its 5 i didnt count 1 of the back toes sorry.

7. strutncrow

Feb 26, 2012
    i think your right on with the hen.the wheaten oegb base looks like perfect match. i saw another bird called the golden spangled hamburg .it has the black spots and the brown coloration.what do you think[​IMG] golden spangled hamburg hen[​IMG] wheaten old english game bantam i need cleare pics of mine [​IMG]

8. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Didn't notice it. That means the roo is either a silkie cross or faverolle x crested breed cross.

I'm guessing the hen is an OEGB. However, the markings aren't spangling - spangling is black only. Millie fleur or "speckled" is when each feather is tipped with white, followed by black. With the white on the bird that's the only option I can think of...

9. strutncrow

Feb 26, 2012
    i looked at some millie fluer pics and her markins look very similar.i guess the hen is wheaten oegb x millie fluer.is the millie a true bantam or is it just a small bird? if i wanted to breed to bring out purebred wheatens would that be possible?now only to figure out that rooster

10. strutncrow

Feb 26, 2012
    the guy i bought them from said the rooster was rir. i raised rir from chicks and it has the red color but the copper neck,feathered feet and toes throw me off.i really think its a faverolle x rir cross.just itchin to knowso i can buy me some hens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by