What are they?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by RavenWood, Sep 30, 2012.

1. RavenWood

RavenWood Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2012
    Vanderhoof, BC Canada
    These ducks were sold to me as Rouens, but they don't all seem to be maturing as such. I think the green headed guy (Leonard) is a Rouen, and at least one of the hens (do you call them hens in ducks?) is, but what are the others? Their heads are more brown with hints of mossy green and their wing patches are a dull mossy colour too. They were born some time in May I believe.

This is Bernadette - pretty sure this is a Rouen hen, in the background you see two other drakes (Raj/Howard) that don't appear to be Rouens.
    [​IMG]

This is Howard - what is he? You can see he's starting to get a white neck ring, but his head is not green Leonard's (upper corner) is. Bernadette is on the left in the photo.
    [​IMG]

This is Penny, another hen. She has the same markings as Bernadette, but in a much paler version. Is she a Rouen?
    [​IMG]

This is Leonard - quite sure he is a Rouen.
    [​IMG]

Here you see Penny, Leonard, Bernadette and Raj - the latter is also questionable - Rouen or ?? He has the same mossy brown head as Howard.
    [​IMG]

I have more photos if these don't illustrate the differences. Anyone know what these are?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Love the BBT names :D Anyway, it looks like your questionables could be Khaki Campbells, or at least be a khaki/rouen mix.

3. RavenWood

Aug 2, 2012
    Vanderhoof, BC Canada
    Thanks. My son helped me name them :) I was thinking they looked like Khakis as well and while there is nothing wrong with Khakis, that isn't what I wanted :( Irks the heck out of me when people are unethical and sell you the wrong thing. We ended up with more drakes than we hoped (of course) and we already sold Sheldon ;) but now I'll have to let the gal know that Sheldon is not likely a pure Roeun and you can bet I'll let the seller I bought mine from know I'm not too impressed that she sold me crosses - I can't be sure that Leonard and Penny and Rouens either. Grrr.

4. farmer boy

farmer boy Chillin' With My Peeps

this is a rouen the female as a huge under belly kinda weird and the drake sorta does to .. i think the two in the last pic the right one and the left one might be khaki .. the middle looks like a mix with a khaki and a rouen ... howrad is not a rouen [​IMG][​IMG] the one with the green head is a khaki drake and the two one the left are females so im guessing yours are mixed with each other with rouens and khakis ... i thought big ducks can't mate with little ducks but i guess a khaki drake can mate with the rouen so ya im pretty sure yours are mixs sorry to tell you but they are still really pretty

5. farmer boy

[​IMG] male [​IMG] female

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  6. RavenWood

Aug 2, 2012
    Vanderhoof, BC Canada
    I'm unclear as to whether you are referring to your photos or to mine with your comments. Khakis have brown heads - not green. The one I posted with a green head definitely resembles a Rouen including the russet chest (his is still coming in) and the white collar. At least one of my hens also resembles a Rouen. From photos I've seen of Khakis both sexes have much more uniform plummage and males have a distinctly brown head with no white collar. I agree, they are most likely Rouen x Khaki, which I'm not too happy about. Aren't Rouen and Khakis similar sized ducks, with the Rouen being instrumental in creating the Khaki? That's what I read.

7. RavenWood

Aug 2, 2012
    Vanderhoof, BC Canada
    Are these show or production bred ducks? They look like mine aside from the weight - mine are only 5 months old and still have maturing to do - though I doubt they will be this heavy when mature.

8. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Those are exhibition rouens not utility.

9. farmer boy

i was looking at some pics and it said that one was a khaki campbell in some late season

10. Chesterchook

Chesterchook Chillin' With My Peeps

I have no idea[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by