What are they?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by res, Oct 29, 2013.

1. res

res Chillin' With My Peeps

These chicks are 2 weeks old tomorrow. Any clues what they are? Should all be purebred...
    [​IMG]

2. bbishop

bbishop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2013
    Green forest Arkansas
    I bought these 10 hens I don't know what they are [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Cheryl1948

Cheryl1948 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2013
    Randleman, NC
    Can't see the pics too good, but if they are black with a greenish tint to their feathers they are Black Australorps.

4. res

I assume you are replying to the 7 photos posted by bbishop and not my original post? My picture is striped chicks - any ideas?

5. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    where did you get them from? if you hatched them, what colors were the eggs? They could really be a few different breeds, but knowing this could help narrow it down. But you will probably still have to wait about 2 months to know better what they are.

6. res

One of them possibly came from a blue egg, but we are not sure. We have one chick less than we had empty eggshells. They all hatched under a broody hen, not an incubator, so we aren't quite sure what happened to the missing chick.

Other than the 1 blue egg, the rest of the eggs were light to dark brown, all large size. There is a tiny chick that came from a large egg - the little yellow one - hatched the same day as the rest.

My friend gave me the fertile eggs to hatch under my broody. She knows what breeds she gave me, but I want to impress her by figuring it out myself with ya'll's help! Usually I pester her with "what breed is this" questions...

She has several hundred chickens and many, many purebred pairs and trios. I think I could spend every day at her property for a year and still not know all the breeds!

Thank you for any help you can give me!

7. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Well since none came from white eggs, that takes brown leghorns outta the guess on the stripped chicks.

8. Cheryl1948

Cheryl1948 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2013
    Randleman, NC
    Yes, I was replying to bbishop. In answer to your chicks, I think the little yellow one is a Buff Orpington, the little black one looks like an Australorp and the ones in the front look like my Partridge Rocks when they were babies. Can't tell about the one in the back with the yellow one. Maybe an Ameraucauna.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by