what are we? 1 rooster and 3 hens

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by spish, Dec 1, 2010.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    the rooster is bigger than a bantam but smaller than all my other roo's, his comb is a single comb but in such an angle that it sits like an 'L' on his head...
    is he a mutt or ?

[​IMG]

and three white hens......im thinking sussex hens? they have very pale combs, is this normal or a sign of sickness? worms maybe?

[​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    and three white hens......im thinking sussex hens?

With that leg color and what looks like red leakage on one of the hen's heads, I think more likely mutt than a pure breed. Sussex should have a whiter leg, Delawares more yellow. Of course, that could be the resolution on my computer.

they have very pale combs, is this normal or a sign of sickness? worms maybe?

Pale combs usually just means they are not ready to lay. The combs will be pale when they are too young to lay, when they molt, or when they are broody, and just when they quit laying.

3. PoultryParadise

PoultryParadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2010
    The hens look exactly like the sussex X hens they sell at Frey's Hatchery. They don't say what they are crossed with though. I had 2, they were reat layers of double yolk and oversized eggs. Kinda mean though, and when they got a little too mean we realized they made great soup.

No idea on the pretty roo, hope your girls are gentle.

4. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    the brown on the hens heads is mud [​IMG] they are all white with just black flecks and pale (almost whitish grey) leg, they look so pink from the cold [​IMG] before i picked them up they were stood in a metal cage and had spilt their water which froze around their feet!. the former owner said he had been getting 5/5 eggs per day up until 3 weeks back when they all stopped, so they have been laying.
    i will go get some better pics shortly now that they should have warmed up and settled in . dont know if they are gentle or not, theyve not long got here so im letting them settle down before testing their personalitys! they are sat in quarantine at the mo so we'll have to wait and see

any idea on the roo?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    The brown rooster is a mutt - Likely with Polish two generations behind it, as it carries a small tophat, but a single comb. (a polish cross in the first generation would have a butterfly or buttercup type comb)

The other girls are Light Sussex.

6. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:they look like delawares to me

7. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:they look like delawares to me

Wrong leg color for delawares. Light sussex seems to be the most likely to me as well.

8. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    I can barely see the legs! ( my monitor is not very good I hope to get a laptop soon)
    sorry
    punky

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by