What are we? (3 Young Peafowl)

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Rosecomb-Ryan, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    These 3 were given to me by a friend who bought them as chicks and forgot what they are called LOL. Are the Spauldings? And does anyone know how to tell sex?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ryan

2. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I believe you have 3 spalding males and a turkey [​IMG]
    .Very pretty too.

They sure got some long legs, i have indian blues but their legs ain't so long

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  3. Rosecomb-Ryan

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    Thank you! Haha soon to be - 4 turkeys! Gosh turkeys are so annoying! These turkeys are so wild! They hit the top of the netting when I go in! My friend gave me them to.. They were free ranging with his Indian Blues..

4. Rosecomb-Ryan

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    Double Post!

5. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    yep, higher percentage spauldings. They will be pretty flightly just because of their higher green peafowl blood.
    Hard to tell the sex 100% as these green birds with higher percentage java in them dont really sex out like blue mutations, the back bars mean nothing really.
    All of my hi percentage spaudlings have been bared on the back, just like whites and pure greens, some time it takes a year to tell by sight.
    Thought I had all males too, but ended up being 2 males and 7 hens in the long run

second pic, middle bird, looks like a hen to me. Look at the leg size difference. The males will have longer heavier legs than the hens. Also watch their spur bumps, hens wont get much bigger than a 1/4 " or so, by next summer, males will have 3/4 "

6. Rosecomb-Ryan

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    So what will they look like as adults does anyone have any pics? And I had some blues a few months ago and they were ALOT wilder then these birds. These birds are actually very calm.. I was talking about the turkeys being wild.. The peafowl are ten times calmer.

7. DMFarm

DMFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Winona Tx
    Aubrey that is a hen the other two looks like males. Here is a picture of a pair of spalding they are 50% java.

[​IMG]

8. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Quote:They look like that.

Mine are just now coming 3, and getting good trains in finally.
    My javas and imperators are just coming 2 right now so no good trains yet on them.

Good to hear Doug,
    glad my eye on these guys is getting better, LOL

9. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Woah that is awesome that your friend gave you those spaldings! They are soo cute good luck with them I hope they turn out beautiful![​IMG]

10. AndysPeafowlSanctuary

AndysPeafowlSanctuary Chillin' With My Peeps

Thats alot of nasty mud on the ground. I suggest you worm them out quickly if you haven't already. Sand works great for peafowl pens if you would like to try that approach.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by