What are we? (A hopeless brag of my new Ameraucana/EE's)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by FuzzyButtz, Nov 26, 2013.

1. FuzzyButtz

FuzzyButtz Chillin' With My Peeps

Well I posted on the Ameracauna thread asking which they were, but figured this might get more bites.. They're really dirty and a little homely looking, but I got 2 new juvies yesterday from a good friend/breeder who got me started in Chickens. They were sold to her from a breeder in the states as "pure Ameracaunas" out of Blues, Blacks and Splash, but says she figures they're EE's due to the colour. It's no matter to me - I just have chickies for Eggs, but i'm curious to see what others think so that I semi-sort of sound like I know what i'm talking about when people ask.

They're around 20 weeks old right now.. they both have Muffs and Beards coming in, too... but... the one stipulation the friend/seller said is she can't guarentee they're pullets as Ameracaunas are hard to tell until full maturity.. I believe she's relatively new to the Ameraucana/EE's in her flock, so maybe some more experienced people in their breed could tell me if they're pullets or cocks..

The one with more black (#2) had a brush with death over night .. to sum it up, I found her wedged between the heat lamp and the cage for it and LUCKILY the light broke before it could do too much damage, but she did suffer some burnt/broken feathers on her right wing.. *worlds worst chicken mama right now*

#1:

[​IMG]

#2 (burnt):

[​IMG]

#2 again:

[​IMG]

#1 In the background, #2 in the foreground:

[​IMG]

So to sum it all up.. do you think they're EE's or Ameraucanas? Do you think they're pullets, or cockerels?

The third little one (on the right in the photo above) is a 'woopsie' of hers that I found cute - a Black Orpington x Leghorn cross.

****** NEW PICS ADDED POST #10

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  2. Hinotori

Hinotori Silver Feathers Premium Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Graham, WA
    These are MUCH better pictures of them. You could post those over in the AM thread. The second one looks like a splash ameraucanas to me. It's not an accepted color, but it IS part of blue breeding. It does breed true. I don't know why it's not an accepted color in most breeds. It is in silkies.

They all look like pullets to me right now.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  3. Hinotori

Apr 27, 2011
    Graham, WA
    The one in the back on the bottom picture still looks wrong like it's crossed colors. Can you get a better individual pic of her? The one on the right in the bottom pic looks like it's carrying some columbian genes?

4. FuzzyButtz

Yes sorry, last night I just snapped a quick cell phone photo and that's all I had to post in the other thread, but today I went out with my DSLR.

I believe they were both sold to her as pure Splash Ameraucana's, but due to being Splash, would that classify THEM as an AM EE? (but if they were to reproduce with another pure Ameraucana Roo the chicks would be true/pure Ameraucanas)??

5. FuzzyButtz

The one on the bottom right is an Oprington x Leghorn that managed to come out looking like a Light Sussex in colour. She was an 'accident' on my friends farm, who breeds purebreds, so because I just have these girls for their Eggs, I thought she was cute and took her home :p

This is the 'wrong' one and some more pics.. I avoided some of them due to the burnt wing feathers of the splash.. still pounding my head on the wall for that one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's more photos of the Splash. She is much more 'poofy' and her beard/muffs are much bigger than the other one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. jerryse

jerryse Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2010
    Sparland IL
    I would say they are pullets. The second one appears to be a splash ameraucana. The first one does not look right for splash but splash can express in many different ways. The first one has no beard and may have a single comb. It is hard to say from the picture. I would consider the first one a cull if it came from ameraucanas.

7. FuzzyButtz

The first ('wrong') one does have a small beard and muffs, but they're no where near as pronounced as the one that's clearly a splash. I'll try to get some better pics... all they wanted to do was snuggle up in the hay!

8. Hinotori

Apr 27, 2011
    Graham, WA
    You can breed the splash to a black and get all blue offspring. If you breed to a blue, half will be blue, half splash.

Splash is a real color. Maybe some day it will be accepted. There was a splash shown in all other varieties at the last show I went to.

9. downtheriver

downtheriver Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2013
    I would say they are ...... cold .

I know i would be ... finding a way back into the house quickly .

Good luck with them

10. FuzzyButtz

Lol well the coop was open, they could have gone in if they wanted. I don't think the new girls have 100% mastered getting in and out of it (there is a ladder, but they all fly up/down) so i lifted them into the coop before I came back in.

Here's some new pics.

I'll start with the one we've decided is a Splash Ameraucana (Pullet??)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the "unknown" that i'm hoping is also a Pullet..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by