What Are We? Breed and Sex...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by agentzoey, Apr 29, 2009.

1. agentzoey

agentzoey Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2009
    Oregon
    I got eggs from a farm where they didn't separate the breeds. This was an incubation project for my daughter's school.
    Any guesses? And thank you!

The brown one w/tufts on its cheeks, "Mei Mei" looks like an Americauna to me but roo or pullet?
    [​IMG]

The darker brown one (who has an iridescent green tail feather) is "Chuck" or maybe "Charlotte"?
    [​IMG]

And the black one w/the poofy head, "Willow" (who I believe is part Silkie due to extra toes and a poof on the head) has always been sweet and lets us hold it but seems to be picking on the others. Roo or can we tell yet? Breed?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The third picture, "Silver" I just don't know what it is [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. SweetMissDaisy

SweetMissDaisy Chillin' With My Peeps

What a fun mix of birds!! LOVE the poofy headed barred one named Willow -- so crazy! [​IMG]

First one looks like my EE pullets at about that age, but I've also had slow-to-mature males look like that as well. Maybe I'm seeing some longer saddle feathers? If so... roo...

Same with Chuck... longer saddle feathers? Hard to tell... What a character tho!

3. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    The first 2 are cockerels. Pic 1 is an EE, pic 2 and 3 are silkie crosses. The last one is a pullet, can you get a full body shot?

4. agentzoey

Feb 21, 2009
    Oregon
    Thanks both of you!
    I will go out and see if they'll cooperate for another photo shoot [​IMG]
    So, do we think #3 (Willow) is a pullet? If she is, she's kind of mean to the others.
    Stay tuned.
    [​IMG]

5. agentzoey

Feb 21, 2009
    Oregon
    Ok....here's more:

Full body shot of Silver:

[​IMG]

Willow again cuz what's the sex?

[​IMG]

And I added funny little Sunny for fun:
    [​IMG]

Thanks everyone!

6. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    silver looks like a boy to me and willow looks like he might be getting sickle feathers in? (they are narrow pointy feathers)
    and sunny is a pretty girl [​IMG]

7. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Now seeing the body shot, silver's a cockerel. The second one looks like a cockerel. The last one is a pullet.

8. agentzoey

Feb 21, 2009
    Oregon
    I think you're right Julie...I always had a sneaking suspicion since Silver was a couple weeks old that he was a "he" So that means out of 9 we have 5 cockerels!
    Thanks everyone for your help [​IMG]

9. EricShane

EricShane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    SouthWestern Ohio
    little sunny looks like shes mixed w. OEG and Silkie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by