What are we??? Dark Barred Plymouth Rock boys or girls?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by scoopy82, Feb 18, 2012.

1. scoopy82

scoopy82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Victoria - Australia!
    I recently hatched a dozen Dark Barred Plymouth Rock chicks, they are now 9 weeks old.
    I saw the stock they came from, all appeared to be correct with dark colouring and good barring. The resulting chicks were a really mixed bunch though. There was a creamy white chick, 3 black chicks with white tipped wings, and 8 chicks of differing darkness with barring. Just wondering how common this is to end up with a few random looking chicks from this breed or has something gone ammis with breeding/egg collection?
    Anyway, I have kept four (the neighbour took the rest) but really only want 2 hens and I'm sure at least one of them is, but thought the experts might be able to guess what the other 3 could be, I have a bad feeling they are all boys.
    The light ones:
    [​IMG]
    The dark ones - the one at the back is the one I'm sure is female:
    [​IMG]
    The difference in colour:
    [​IMG]
    Group shot - what do you all think? (sorry about the fuzzy head, its so hard to take photo's of moving chickens on my phone!):
    [​IMG]

2. smarsh2

smarsh2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    These are clearly not pure barred rock. one roo is dark colored like a pullet. of the barred ones i only see 1 pullet, 3 roos

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    with the color of the legs i want to say they might have some marans mixed in with them. gender wise 1 pullet and 3 cockerels

4. scoopy82

scoopy82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Victoria - Australia!
    That is what I feared. Never mind though, I've just sourced some more eggs from a reputable company in my nearest capital city, they claim to be purebred and guarantee an 80% hatch rate even on shipped eggs or they will provide free replacements so I think that is a better way to go :)

5. Dark: All pullets.
    Light: The front is a cockerel, the back chicken is a pullet.

6. Sorry! Dark is all COCKERELS

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by