what are we... help please?!?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bturbo87, May 25, 2010.

1. bturbo87

bturbo87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    south
    we picked up 7 chicks from a lady who just got in an order of 44 from a hatchery, 2 araucanas, 2 cochin bantams(she hatched herself), and 3 silver laced sebrights. its the three sebright im having issues with, two are normal, but look closely at the legs on number three....

chick 1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

chick number two
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and the funky one
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

thats right, those are feathers... on a sebrights leg....ummmm just whats going on here, and do i call the lady we bought them off of and tell her to contact her hatchery???

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I know you can get silver laced cochins. Maybe you got those instead?

3. bturbo87

Apr 22, 2010
    south
    none were ordered, the only cochins she ordered were buff and black, the two we got from her black and white, were both hatched from her bator. her order contained araucanas, silver laced sebrights, buff and black cochins and brown cornish...

4. bturbo87

Apr 22, 2010
    south
    anybody else wanna help?????please????

5. happytxchick

happytxchick Egg Song Acre

Jul 8, 2009
    Sulphur Springs, TX
    I have two hatchery Welsummers that have minute wisps of feathers like that. Perhaps it is a "poor quality" issue with hatchery birds.

I don't mind with my girls since I just got them for eggs, which are, btw, super dark! Happy with egg color, not with leg feathers...I guess I'll just be content.

6. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    I think its the hatchery. I heard of one other with a seabright with fetaher legs.

7. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

You aren't the first one who has a featherlegged sebright chick from a hatchery. Just the other day someone posted that one of their sebrights received was also featherlegged. Hatcheries purchase their eggs from suppliers, and it likely isn't even the hatchery's fault that the supplier snuck in a DQ for a breed. Call the hatchery and let them know. Since you didn't purchase the chick directly from them, don't expect any recourse but they should probably be made aware of what is being sent out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by