"What are we?" - Ideal's Rare Breed Specials

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by greenfamilyfarms, Jul 23, 2010.

1. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    **UPDATE: After caring for these chicks for 2 days, I lost a couple on Saturday. The rest of them were dead Sunday morning.

Help me take a stab at the breed and varieties of these 33 chicks (ordered 25) from Ideal's Rare Breed Special. [​IMG] Those with flat combs, I just classified as pea combs. They could be rose combed breeds. Thanks for your help! [​IMG]

NOTE: I still missed taking pictures of a couple of them. I'll try to figure out which ones I missed. [​IMG]

1. These are obviously EE's, but just verify. Puffy cheeks, colored legs, pea combs.
    [​IMG]

2. Three of these - pea comb, longer light colored legs - Red Shoulder Yokohama?
    [​IMG]

3. Three of these - Buff Laced Polish, right? Or maybe Red Crested Reds?
    [​IMG]

4. One of these - Silver Laced Polish
    [​IMG]

5. Three of these - naked necks, pea combs. Could be Madagascar Games?
    [​IMG]

6. Two of these - pea combs, dark legs with white toes
    [​IMG]

7. One of these - single comb, black legs
    [​IMG]

8. Three of these. They may not be the same thing, but the lighter one had the same markings and general appearance as the other 2. Single combed. Could be Silver Penciled Egyptian Fayoumi?
    [​IMG]

9. Two striped chicks. One has bolder stripe that other and is a shade darker in color. Darker chick has peacomb; lighter chick has single comb.
    [​IMG]

10. Two of these - Dark bodies, yellow heads. Slate-y colored legs and single combs.
    [​IMG]

11. Two of these - Golden Laced Polish, or Gold Brabanter. They don't have that must of a topknot at this point. Only time will tell I guess.
    [​IMG]

12. One of these - dark red, single comb. RIR?
    [​IMG]

13. One of these - silver base with lots of reddish markings. Single comb, slate-y legs. Campine?
    [​IMG]

14. One of these - buff with pea comb. Buff Wyandotte?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I have no idea, but hope you'll post more pictures as they grow. Sounds really kind of fun to have mystery chicks. [​IMG]

3. BC_Farms

BC_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2010
    Enfield & Chaplin CT
    6./7. Astralorps and Langshans
    9. I think are Russian Orloffs

4. Tigerjane

Tigerjane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Pflugerville, TX
    13 is definitely a golden campine. Looks just like the one I picked up from Ideal on July 7. Your assortment looks awesome, makes me want to put another order in!

5. Quail's Hollar Farm

Quail's Hollar Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Number five are turkins. AKA naked necks. You got 3, 4, 11, and 14 right, but I've never seen a chick like 13!

6. greenfamilyfarms

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quail's hollar Farm :

Number five are turkins. AKA naked necks. You got 3, 4, 11, and 14 right, but I've never seen a chick like 13!

I thought that, too, until I noticed they had peacombs.

#13 is the prettiest chick I have ever seen! Here's a head shot:
    [​IMG]

Is there an easy way to tell a Golden from a Silver Campine? The wing feathers coming in are kind of mix of gold and silver.​

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quail's hollar Farm :

# 5 are not Turkins!
    The OP said
    Three of these - naked necks, pea combs.

Turkins are a Single Comb breed.

The could be Madagascar Game.
    Madagascar Game should have a Strawberry comb but could also have a Pea comb..

Chris​

8. jerry2009

jerry2009 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2008
    #3 are red crested polish...

9. askjcm2005

askjcm2005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego
    LOL I cannot be of much help as I have only had a few chicks this tiny, only polish and silkies. But for #4 I can agree and say you have a silver laced polish as I had one and it looked the same as a chick then drowned itself in our duck pool [​IMG]

10. greenfamilyfarms

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:Sorry to hear that. We, too, have had that same thing happen in the past. We are now duck and goose free.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by