What are we? Pic heavy

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Coop de Grille, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Coop de Grille

Coop de Grille Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    I bought 16 eggs from someone local to me and 13 of them hatched two and a half weeks ago.

Three of the eggs came from the pens of her pure breed Marans. She has French Black, French Blue Copper and wheaton Marans. So three of my babies are pure bred, but I don't know which ones are which.

Ten of the eggs are mixed breed eggs and came from one pen that has Barred rock hens,Cuckoo Marans hens and Ameracana hens with a Wheaton Marans rooster.

Pretty sure the yellow babies with the colored wings are EE/Wheaten Maran mixed. Some of the babies have feathered legs, others are clean legged.

I hope someone can shed some light on which babies could be the pure, and which ones are the mixed. I'm also afraid that I have brooder full of little roos too.

This one could be the Barred rock/Wheaten marans mixed. Or could this little guy be a Cuckoo maran/Wheaten maran mixed? Little roo, look at that comb already!

[​IMG]

This one has only one white wing feather. Pullet? Feathers are dark black.

[​IMG]

EE/Wheaten Maran mixed? Pullet?
    [​IMG]

Have no clue what this one is, but you can see a few combs sticking up on the babies in the back. Feathers on this one are a greyish color, not a dark black.
    [​IMG]

EE mixed? This is the only one that has greenish legs.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Check out the pink comb and wattles on this little guy already. His feathers are more greyish then black.
    [​IMG]

Another one that is black with one white wing feather.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    all look mixed to some degree :(

3. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    I'm seeing a lot of mixes and a lot of boys [​IMG]

4. Coop de Grille

Coop de Grille Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    I bought a dozen mixed eggs. The lady gave me an additional four eggs that she said came from her pure breed pen, three of those hatched. Maybe she mixed them up lol..

I was afraid of getting all roo's. My first batch of eight chicks turned out to ALL be roos. My second batch I got 4 out of 10 roos. I picked up 6 "pullets" from the Red Bin in TSC, this is one of them:

[​IMG]

He is lucky he is so pretty!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by