What are we??? Six banties 6 weeks old.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by littlekit, Oct 19, 2009.

1. littlekit

littlekit Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    [​IMG]
    Our 6 banties are out in the coop and free-ranging today in an enclosed area. 2 are dominique and 4 are buff mixes. One of the doms has a very red comb and struts.
    One of the pics shows the "sparring" they do sometimes. Do both sexes play this game or is this a tell-tale sign of roos?

Thanks for all your help. pics are a mixed bag, but I think you can get an idea of who's who.

[​IMG]Everyone
    [​IMG]Roo? Clare
    [​IMG]Francis
    [​IMG]Rosy
    [​IMG]Rosy flying
    [​IMG]Henrietta
    [​IMG]Gus-Gus
    [​IMG]Clare and Beatrice (largest buff) sparring with the head up and down and then pouncing on top of one another.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Clare is a roo, can't tell so much on the others. Great pics of them playing!
    Too cute!

Girls will occasionally spar too.

3. littlekit

Sep 23, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    Thank you! Clare was bossy and had a red head two weeks ago so I'm not too surprised.

By the by, are the hens safer with a roo around _ will he go after predators? And should he stay in the same coop? [​IMG]

It's fun watching them run around for the first time free. At one point they all tore back into the coop and I looked up and saw a hawk. Instincts are a cool thing. [​IMG]

4. littlekit

Sep 23, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    Anyone else have ideas of gender with this bunch?

5. SilkieCRZYness

SilkieCRZYness Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Florida
    I think GUS GUS is a roo to. Cute tho

6. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    clare is roo francis is pullet gus gus is roo, beatrice is roo. all white ones are not individually pictured? henrietta looks roo, the one behind henrietta looks pullet.l

7. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

Pics 2, 5, 6 (two outer birds) and 7 are cockerels, the rest are pullets, IMO.

8. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    As for your other question- the roos won't necessarilly "go after" predators. They keep a lookout for the girls, and if they spot danger they will alert everyone and get them to safety. I've seen this happen a few times. Everyone is out forageing, and suddenly they'll all run back to the coop or up on the deck. (And it wasn't like they when they run for food) They all stood "at attention" for a few minutes and went back to doing chicken stuff. [​IMG]

9. littlekit

Sep 23, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    Thank you all so much. Sounds like we may have four roos. I wonder if four roos in a coop have ever co-existed peacefully. Guess I'll ask that question later. I appreciate all the comments! In a couple weeks I'll take better (individual) pics. When I have an assistant :}
    Everyone take care!
    Kristin [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  10. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    You can keep everyone together for quite a while. You've got time [​IMG]

I have a smaller coop just for my extra roos. In case I ever want to switch one out for a different color, or if something happens to one of my breeders. There are 5 in there now, and will be 7 total. They have been getting along fine because there are no girls to fight over. I love the days that they free-range together- such a pretty shiny bunch [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by