What Are we?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MartinsPoultry, Nov 4, 2016.

1. MartinsPoultry

MartinsPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

So i have this little lady here and I am not 100% sure what she may be. When she was a puffball she looked like a wellsummer pullet but doesn't have the same markings as adult wellsummers I have seen, but more like that of a Rhode Island Red. Could anyone possibly help me?

I also have an extremely puffy white hen who looks like she is wearing trousers when she runs, she has feathers all the way to her center toe.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Both girls are inseparable, i was holding the white one named Maple and Anya (brown) started clucking up a storm because her white shadow wasn't following her being cuddled and pet by me.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    anya is probably jealous too

3. MartinsPoultry

Oh she is, I used to hold her but shes being a brat lately. Im bringing her in the house tomorrow for some one on one time to calm her tail feathers.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    The red bird looks like a production red. The lighter bird looks like a barnyard mix.

5. MartinsPoultry

I got better pictures of them this morning.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Both of them are mixed breed. The red one does look like a production red however her legs don't seem to yellow(seems superficial but it;s important) so she is probably something like a red sex link or production red crossed with something else. Her shadow seems very mixed breed. Probably part wyandotte due to her rose comb(the flat looking comb) and part cochin.

7. MartinsPoultry

Could it be possible Anya (red) could have Well summer in her or RIR?

And my puff ball be crossed with a Brahma?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  8. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Hmmmm, yeah it's possible she could be part Brahma, that's not a bad guess. The only thing is standard brahmas usually are huge birds and Puffball is not that huge.

couldn;t rule out something like wyandotte and bantam brahma though...

As for welsumer.. I am not sure because welsumer crossed with RIR or production red would give red birds with bright yellow legs...Anya;s legs don't seem to be yellow in pictures.

She easily could be a production red or RIR cross with something else. by the way a lot of birds labeled RIR are really Production reds, they look rather similar and the Productions are bred for heavy egg production

by the way am glad you have found such sweet birds..

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  9. MartinsPoultry

Thanks.

And a her legs are a flesh color unlike maples shoes are bright yellow. Either way they are sweet girls.

10. henlette

henlette New Egg

Nov 4, 2016
    Harris county georgia
    [​IMG] [​IMG] can some one tell me what kind of hens these are the grey/silver one has one feather on each foot

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by