What are we?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BekahsChicks, Nov 14, 2016.

1. BekahsChicks

BekahsChicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2016
    Speedwell Virginia
    Hello :) Not sure if its to early to tell but does anyone have an idea on what breed my 2 babies are? we've had them a month and I am guessing they were a month when we got them....?

This is a few days after we got them
    [​IMG]

This is about a week ago

[​IMG]

And this is this morning :)

[​IMG]

The white one (Lewey!) is for sure "quacking" and I've read/been told that only the females do that. The Grey one (Dewey) has made some quack like signs but for the most part is much silent and so were not for sure yet if its a boy or girl.. assuming that is true about the quacking.. :)

2. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Living in a galaxy far, far away...

Looks like you have a Swedish (dewey) and a Pekin (Lewey). Swedish are more of a rare breed, so lucky you [​IMG]
    You can tell that they are both girls by the tail; drakes have curly tail feathers.

3. BekahsChicks

Oct 15, 2016
    Speedwell Virginia

Cool! :)

In reference to their tail feathers I've heard that but since Dewey still has fluff on her obviously (I thought) all her (both actually Dewey just has a bit more fluff) feathers haven't all came in yet, so I thought maybe it might be to early to say :)

4. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Living in a galaxy far, far away...

It might be, but I think it's safe to say that they are both girls.

5. BekahsChicks

Oct 15, 2016
    Speedwell Virginia

Yippee! Lol well I think that's a good thing... do we HAVE to have a drake? We have 13 chickens that the ducks are very attached to (like heaven forbid they lose sight of the chickens, they flip out!!!) one of which is a roo... I've read a few blogs where Roos can get rough... any knowledge on that?

6. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    I agree you have a Pekin and a Blue Swedish. Drake feathers won't start showing until about 4 months so you can't go by that at such a young age. The head on the Swedish looks darker than the body in the picture, which would indicate it's a drake. But if it actually quacks its a hen.

7. BekahsChicks

Oct 15, 2016
    Speedwell Virginia

Cool :)! Dewey is just very laid back and overall very quiet so we will just have to wait and see!

Does this pic help with Deweys coloring at all? [​IMG]

Lol they don't cooperate for pictures well! :) Deweys bill is in a bit of shade...

8. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    The head color looks much lighter in the second picture. Maybe it was a shadow in the first picture. Blue Swedish drakes have very dark heads so it might be a hen. Very lovely color too.

You don't need a drake unless you want to hatch eggs. Hens will lay eggs either way.

A rooster's behavior varies depending on his personality and how he was raised. There are really great ones, really bad ones, and many in between. You'll have a good idea of how he is when he reaches sexual maturity but many folks say you won't really know till he's 2 years old.

9. BekahsChicks

Oct 15, 2016
    Speedwell Virginia

Thanks all around! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by