what are we????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by yomama, Nov 7, 2009.

1. yomama

yomama Overrun With Chickens

Hi there,

I am new to this forum, and to chickens as well. I recently purchased 4, 1yr old hens. I am unsure of what the two bantam varieties are. I was told by the guy that I bought them from that the red one is a Rhode Island Red Bantam, and he was unsure of what breed the little black hen was. I know that he did have some game mix hens running around, so I am wondering if maybe they may have a little of that too. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

thanks!

2. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    [​IMG]

Could you post a pic or two of them? I am sure someone here can tell what they are for ya.

3. yomama

Didn't realize that posted [​IMG] I'm having a hard time getting the pictures to post. I'll put them up as soon as I can. Thanks for the quick response!

4. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    If you have trouble doing the photos you can always upload them to photobucket and then copy/paste the IMG code under the pic to your post here. [​IMG]

5. yomama

Finally able to get some pictures up. These are the hens I am trying to identify the breeds of. The first two are of "Violet", and the last two are of "Spicy". I do know they are Bantams. I was told that Spicy was a Rhode Island Red Bantam, but I don't know.
    Thanks!!

[​IMG]
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/fo...ickens.com/forum/uploads/44142_dscf0059_059-2.[​IMG]jpg[/img]re are the hens I am trying to identify the breeds of:[​IMG][​IMG]

6. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    They look like RIR bantam and black sex-link bantam. If the person you got them from had a barred rock bantam, this is very likely. Cute! They have tiny heads like OEGB!

7. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    I was trying to see what kind of comb the little red hen has, it doesn't look like a single comb. Can you tell?

8. yomama

I tried to get a little better picture of the red bantam's comb this time. It's very minimal, compared to the other hens. This one Screams too! If I try to pick the others up, they will make alot of noise. But if I pick this one up, she literally sounds like she could be in a horror movie! She settles down quickly, but it still freaks you out at first! (Not sure if that is a breed trait, or a personality trait, but that's how she got her name-Spicy) Thank you to everyone trying to help me figure out what she and her coop mate are. I really appreciate it![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by