what are we???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bmax, Aug 29, 2010.

1. bmax

bmax Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2010
    Conway, AR
    I hope pictures are good enough...
    what are we? Also can you tell roo or pullet
    [​IMG]

the next two are the same chicken

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and last but not least [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance...trying to figure out how many roo's I have and what brands of chicks [​IMG]

2. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    pics 2/3 looks like a rooster...breed?

3. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Gold laced Wyandotte, Welsummer, RIR. The second one is definitely a boy, and the other two might be too... [​IMG]

4. bmax

bmax Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2010
    Conway, AR
    Quote:NoNoNo!!!! Ethel can't be a roo!!!! [​IMG] (she/he is number one! I thought it was a Gold Laced Wyandotte)

5. Muggsmagee

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    The reason I don't think #2/3 is a Welsummer, I'm not seeing the "color" yet...and the comb seems obvious! I have 3 Wellies...they are a wonderful addition to any flock.

6. bmax

bmax Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2010
    Conway, AR
    Quote:Ok so if they have a comb at 5-6 weeks does that mean Roo??? If that is the case then out of my 7 chicks only one has no comb yet...which is the one in the first picture

7. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    Actually, the first pic is getting a comb, a rose comb. If it is 5-6 weeks and the comb is starting to protrude already (which it looks like it is from the pic), I would say roo. Sorry.

I don't know that the third one is a roo, but possibly. Number two is definitely a roo.

8. Muggsmagee

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    A huge percentage of questions on here have to do with trying to sex birds by looking at them. It can never be absolute, because some hens "act" like roos. Don't cull or get rid of him/her...wait it out and be absolutely sure. Post more pics in a few weeks!

9. bmax

bmax Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2010
    Conway, AR
    Quote:I'm not going to get rid of any just yet. I will certainly post more pictures in a few weeks [​IMG] I know it's hard to tell at this age although several i am pretty certain are roo's...There are enough males in my household already [​IMG]

10. BekahBear

BekahBear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2010
    Arizona
    all 3 look like roos to me. sorry [​IMG]

post some more pics of the 1st one in a couple weeks. thats the only one that i'm at all iffy on. the other 2 are for sure roos

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by