What are we?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chrystalduck, May 15, 2011.

1. chrystalduck

chrystalduck Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    They are 14 days old. These are out of some eggs my neighbor gave me. Not the best pictures, probably to soon to tell the sex of them yet. Gosh, I hope they aren't all roosters.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

Barred rocK mixes? DUH--LOL! But that one has dark feet? I love mixes! Terri O

3. chrystalduck

Apr 14, 2011
    Yeah, I had the barred rock mixes figured out. It's the gender part I was wondering about?

4. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    Awfully big combs on some of those litte ones. I see some roos I think.[​IMG]

5. smokeykk

smokeykk Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I see one, maybe to roosters they are barred rocks, but the way you tell is that the cockerel head has a bigger yellowish spot on it than a pullets head

6. flightfeather21

flightfeather21 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2011
    rooster

7. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I just hatched some barred rock mixes and with the mixes you cant always tell with the headspot. I had one that started out really dark with a small wello defined headspot. Within a couple of weeks definitly a boy. Out of the seven we hatched we ended up with 4 maybe 5 boys. One I am still on the fence about. I do see one roo the one by itself. And then maybe the one in the 4th picture up front by the waterer.

8. chrystalduck

Apr 14, 2011
    Oh no, you think the first one is a roo [​IMG] I was so hoping it would be a pullet. I even named it Mia. So goes the life of raising chickens [​IMG]

9. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    The comb looks kind of big. Could still be a girl if it doesnt get red but going by size I'd say boy.
    Also the legs are yellow no black wash but then again with them being mixes that doesnt always mean anything. By the way I love that one with the white head soo cute. I keep looking at the pictures and the more I look the more I see boy. I'm sorry. I know how you feel. I have a silver laced wyandotte, the only one that I own. Got it from the feed store. The last one they had in the pullet bin. You guessed it a boy. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  10. JoePa

JoePa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Lehigh County Pa.
    This sounds like sex discrimination - we got to get the government involved - [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by