1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What are we?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Shannon, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Shannon

Shannon Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2007
    I have these two baby chicks and I can't figure out what breed they are. I'm not certain of the parent breeds so that's of no help. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

2. pawtraitart

pawtraitart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    Barred rock and australorp maybe? I'm still new to chickens, though. I'm still trying to figure out a few of mine!

The black one with the dot on its head is tricky. This is a typical barred rock chick color....however, the more research I do the more I see that this marking is common in alot of different chicks. You know...it just can't be cut and dry. [​IMG]

3. Shannon

Shannon Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2007
    Yeah that's really throwing me off. And the fact that it's rear is also solid white. The other one has very similar coloring but not exact. Of course it's two days younger, but the older one didn't change that much in two days. Thanks for the ideas. I'll go look them up.

4. Motherhenandflock

Motherhenandflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Southeast Idaho
    Take a look at leg color too. Barred Rocks will have a "shadow" of black or dk. gray in the front part.

5. usalbrechts

usalbrechts Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    south east MI
    Totaly Bared Rock!!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by