1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What are y'all treating lumber with that you are using for your coops?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ChickenFan, May 23, 2007.

1. ChickenFan

ChickenFan Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2007
    Hi Everyone,

We are getting ready to build a new coop.

Clearly we need to protect the wood from rain and other moisture but we don't want to use a toxic treatment.

What are some safe options for treating wood considering that chickens will try and eat everything around them.

Thanks!

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I just painted my coup with regular old semi gloss stain.

3. ChickenFan

May 6, 2007
    Isn't that toxic though it they start pecking at it?

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Well, once it's dry it doesn't come off and they don't actively peck on it. My coup is almost 10 years old now and haven't had a problem with birds and the paint.

On some of my smaller coup's I used a latex based stain to make them barn red. My hens were all silly and decided to walk under it and use it as a perch while it was still wet... some got it on their black feathers and still have red dots to show for it!

They are fine. I wouldn't worry about it. I think the only thing that some worry about is the really really old style pressure treated wood that used some copper based stuff that would soak out of it and collect in puddles.

5. ChickenFan

May 6, 2007
    OK, thanks!

6. michellerene

michellerene Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    Graham, WA
    I'm painting mine this weekend-- regular old exterior house paint. The can't reach the parts I'm painting yet, so it will be long dry by the time they can. Just can't decide on a color... [​IMG]

7. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    We just used barn and fence paint. It's thinner which means it will just basically "fade" off rather than peel. We thought it would create less of a pecking interest if you know what I mean.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by