what are you charging for a dozen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by creative.hortic, Feb 22, 2011.

1. creative.hortic

creative.hortic Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2010
    Seeing as we finally have eggs from our girls, i thought it would be neat to hear from all of you and see what the going rate is all over the country! i am in wisconsin and am planning on sharing the wealth of eggs with friends and family, and was wondering what to charge. I know we will never get out what we put into them!! (too much, says the husband!) But i am really curious to hear from other fellow chicken herders! thanks!

2. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Here I sell mine for 2.00 dozen that is about the going rate. I have one lady at work that buys 6 dozen a week. I also hatch and sell the chicks. so far I have sold 33 chicks.

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

$3.00 a dozen.

4. Tartannik

Tartannik Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Wet Argyll, Scotland
    I sell mine for £1.25 for 6 or £2.50 for a dozen!! Don't know what that is in $ though!!

5. Fireman Farmer

Fireman Farmer Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2011
    EasternShore of Virginia
    2.00 a dozen here also and sell out every week. Tried 2.50 and couldnt get it.

6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    $1.50 a dozen here. Everyone on the block has chickens, so eggs are no biggie in my area.

7. creative.hortic

creative.hortic Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2010
    here where we are....chickens are laughed at!! everyone thought we were crazy to get them...and we live in the city, so that could be part of it......i was thinking i could get 4 dollars a dozen.....look at how expensive they are in the grocery store! free range eggs arent cheep....get it, cheep? [​IMG]

8. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Our weekly egg price support question!! Kind of like the daily crude oil report on CNBC. [​IMG]

Entirely, 100%, Absolutely based on one's local area. $2.50 is my tops here for JUMBO, with $2 to neighbors being more common. With rising feed costs, the margins just keep shrinking. BTW, that low, WalMart type $1.29 price just cannot last forever, imho. Inflation is raging in all commodiies.

9. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    creative.hortic :

here where we are....chickens are laughed at!! everyone thought we were crazy to get them...and we live in the city, so that could be part of it......i was thinking i could get 4 dollars a dozen.....look at how expensive they are in the grocery store! free range eggs arent cheep....get it, cheep? [​IMG]

Why are chickens laughed at? Well, I would laugh at those who are laughing. [​IMG] How much you sell them for and what you can get for them will different in all areas. Our grocery stores sell eggs for $0.99, so that is not expensive. At the same time, you cant compare store bought eggs to farm fresh eggs. It doesn't compare. And you're right, farm fresh eggs are not cheap. Feed costs but some people dont get it. Try selling them for $4.00 a dozen and see if anyone buys them. If they buy them, then there you go. You can leave your price at $4.00. If not, then you may have to think about changing your price.​

10. treekatie

treekatie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2010
    Aiken Co., SC
    Quote:At today's rate that is around $2.00 for a half dozen, $4.00 for a dozen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by