Official BYC Poll: What Are You Doing to Protect Your Flock From Bird Flu (H5N1) Infection?

What Are You Doing to Protect Your Flock From Bird Flu (H5N1) Infection?

• I've covered the run with a tarp or solid roof stop poop from flying birds coming into the run

Votes: 76 31.0%
  • I've covered the run with netting to prevent wild birds from coming into the run

Votes: 60 24.5%
  • I've stopped putting out feed for wild birds

Votes: 95 38.8%
  • I've stopped free-ranging my poultry

Votes: 80 32.7%
  • I've made a new or temporary fenced area or run

Votes: 24 9.8%
  • I don't allow visitors near my chickens

Votes: 70 28.6%
  • I've temporarily stopped bringing in new chickens from elsewhere

• I keep the feeders and waterers clean and do not give wild birds access to these facilities

Votes: 113 46.1%
  • I thoroughly clean all equipment I use with my chickens (shovels, rakes, etc.)

Votes: 37 15.1%
  • I clean up spilled feed so as to not attract wild birds

Votes: 45 18.4%
  • I clean & disinfect the chicken coop thoroughly regularly

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • I have special clothing and shoes ready to use when handling my chickens only

Votes: 65 26.5%
  • I do not share equipment with or reuse equipment from other flocks

Votes: 96 39.2%
  • I've stopped reusing egg cartons from others who keep chickens

Votes: 38 15.5%
  • I've stopped going to chicken shows and auctions

Votes: 50 20.4%
  • Nothing

• Other (please elaborate in the comments section below)

Votes: 16 6.5%

• Total voters
Pics
Destroying a few flocks is better than devastating the industry.
The chicken industry , with chickens living under unnatural circumstances, is the cause of this AI problem according to Wageningen university. Virussen can mutate easily into new , and more deadly AI viruses in these factory farms.

At the moment the outbreaks in farms in The Netherlands are not from wild birds, but because there must have been (illegal) contact between chicken farms.

And the virologist are afraid the AI will develop into a new virus that is contagious for humans too.

e14fba4b-71af-4b48-a5d9-0133b748d8c7_Verspreiding%20vogelgriep.png

Pic from site Wageningen University and Research. Use google translate if you want to read the article.

So, if you ask me: stop producing feed we don’t need that causes a lot of misery for the animals, + is such a hazard for human health and + is very bad for the environment in general.

That people need to have the possibility to buy cheap chicken meat and cheap eggs is allowing people to destroy themselves for the benefit of industrial farmers , bankers and the feed industry .

So, if you ask me: stop producing feed we don’t need that causes a lot of misery for the animals, + is such a hazard for human health and + is very bad for the environment in general.

At the cost of relegating the poor to a bare subsistence diet without access to inexpensive, high-quality protein.

Live on a bare subsistence diet yourself if you choose to.

Don't ask me to starve my children.

I am giving my hens oregano tea every day to boost their immune system.

Oregano – is the clear favorite for a healthful boost. It boosts the immune system and helps guard against certain infections such as salmonella, infectious bronchitis, avian influenza, and E. coli.

• Ginger – is another anti-infective, anti-viral herb that boosts the immune system.
  • Dandelions – contain vitamins A, B, C, E, and K and numerous trace elements such as calcium and manganese. It is said to aid digestion; it is an antioxidant and an anti-inflammatory pain reliever.
  • Garlic is a powerful aid to the immune system. It is also antimicrobial, repels parasites, and is said to deter intestinal worms while stimulating the immune system.

I pick a bunch of oregano, it's growing all over my yard, to fill up a 2-quart jar, pour boiling water, and seal it. when it's cool it's ready, sometimes I add some honey before the water.
I think oregano and many other herbs are great for the health of chickens. But I think eating is just as good. And adding honey? :idunno

I pick a bunch of oregano, it's growing all over my yard, to fill up a 2-quart jar, pour boiling water, and seal it. when it's cool it's ready, sometimes I add some honey before the water.

there is some evidence to suggest that added honey to their water helps relieve heat stress, improves egg quality, and works as an antioxidant.
I do feed them fresh herbs all the time. Chickens always drink water, if they ignore the fresh stuff or they are not eating because of illness or stress, you may want an extra boost, the tea is a great way to go.

Back
Top Bottom