Official BYC Poll: What Are You Doing to Protect Your Flock From Bird Flu (H5N1) Infection?

What Are You Doing to Protect Your Flock From Bird Flu (H5N1) Infection?

• I've covered the run with a tarp or solid roof stop poop from flying birds coming into the run

Votes: 76 31.0%
  • I've covered the run with netting to prevent wild birds from coming into the run

Votes: 60 24.5%
  • I've stopped putting out feed for wild birds

Votes: 95 38.8%
  • I've stopped free-ranging my poultry

Votes: 80 32.7%
  • I've made a new or temporary fenced area or run

Votes: 24 9.8%
  • I don't allow visitors near my chickens

Votes: 70 28.6%
  • I've temporarily stopped bringing in new chickens from elsewhere

• I keep the feeders and waterers clean and do not give wild birds access to these facilities

Votes: 113 46.1%
  • I thoroughly clean all equipment I use with my chickens (shovels, rakes, etc.)

Votes: 37 15.1%
  • I clean up spilled feed so as to not attract wild birds

Votes: 45 18.4%
  • I clean & disinfect the chicken coop thoroughly regularly

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • I have special clothing and shoes ready to use when handling my chickens only

Votes: 65 26.5%
  • I do not share equipment with or reuse equipment from other flocks

Votes: 96 39.2%
  • I've stopped reusing egg cartons from others who keep chickens

Votes: 38 15.5%
  • I've stopped going to chicken shows and auctions

Votes: 50 20.4%
  • Nothing

• Other (please elaborate in the comments section below)

Votes: 16 6.5%

• Total voters
Pics
Ya' know, they'er not ametures or not making stuff up. A lot of thought, planning and experience has gone into making the system what it is.
You cannot look at the US supply chain and say that with a straight face. I could give you 100 reasons why you should question what the govt considers “health” or “safety”. I work in healthcare and know (and see) more than the average bear.

A true crisis doesn’t need misleading data and sensationalism. Look at the data. Not the news stories or the fearmongering. The data. And then follow the money.

That's pretty vague. Maybe you should go ahead and give us those 100 reasons.... or at least a dozen or so.
Dough conditioners, brominated vegetable oil, propylparaben, BHA and BHT, synthetic food dyes, GMOs, Roxarsone, Ractopamine, the 72 active ingredients in herbicides, insecticides, and fungicides banned by the european union (but not the US, of course), Olestra, rBGH and rBST, oxycontin...I could probably get to 100.

Dough conditioners, brominated vegetable oil, propylparaben, BHA and BHT, synthetic food dyes, GMOs, Roxarsone, Ractopamine, the 72 active ingredients in herbicides, insecticides, and fungicides banned by the european union (but not the US, of course), Olestra, rBGH and rBST, oxycontin...I could probably get to 100.
Clap, clap. Very good. I'm going to look up every one of them.

The bird flu didn’t disappear whole summer. And now our government has sharpened the rules again.

2 major events happened on the 4th of October:
A chicken meat factory farm with over 100,000 chicks was infected.
4DB6AA4B-BD5E-45BD-A513-A2E376CD409D.png

And a worker in a chicken farm in Spain got sick with HPAI (contagious bird flu). He recovered and didn’t effect another human.

The European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) is afraid it might happen one of these days.

There’s a good article about this in Dutch (you can use translate to read it) https://www.levendehave.nl/nieuws/a...riep-kan-leiden-tot-sluiten-pluimveebedrijven .

Its been s whole year now that hobby keepers are obliged to lock the chickens up in a run. But I stopped doing anything special this summer bc I dont want to lock the chickens in the run 24*7.
Sparrows and other small songbirds come into the run anyway.

The hpai / avian is causing deaths among all kind of birds now. Not just poultry or large birds.

Locking them up is not good for the health and sanity of my chickens. Getting sick from hpai in natural circumstances gives them hopefully more chances to survive. But so far I haven’t seen any sick birds with the symptoms of hpai around here. But near river they do find contaminated birds from time to time.

I am putting bird food out away from the area where mine eat , but i have an established nest that a pair of doves have used for years when one did not return 3 years ago i am assuming it is oneof their children and his mate areusing it now...i am feeding them near the tree ..

Back
Top Bottom