What are you feeding your doves?

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by WisconsinAnimalHouse, Dec 10, 2011.

1. WisconsinAnimalHouse

WisconsinAnimalHouse Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2011
    Just hoping for some ideas on a great mix for my new friends! Ideas?

2. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Well im not sure if what i feed them is the best but they have a huge variety of seeds, (not shelled) dove blends and shelled sunflowers and shelled seeds blends all mixed together. They also have access to pigeon pellets which they love, and grit.

3. WisconsinAnimalHouse

WisconsinAnimalHouse Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2011
    They are having wild bird mix right now, which looks pretty decent but I would love to get them some pigeon or dove crumbles if there is such a thing. Gotta figure out where to find it though! Don't think the farm and fleet carries it.

4. larrylofts

larrylofts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    LOTT TX
    Purina , Kaytee Make Pellets For Pigeons Among Others Try Feed Stores

5. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Most farm stores have a pigeon and dove seed mix available that both our birds do well on. I would recommend feeding bird grit with it though, as some of the seeds are pretty chunky. Some people feed pet pigeons cockatiel mixes, but not all mixes are good for pigeons. There is one brand...vitabird or something like that, that has vitamin enriched cockatiel mixes that our dove did very, very well on, but our store stopped selling it. A shame, because while our pigeon will eat anything, our ringneck won't touch any sort of insects, fruit, greens, etc most ringnecks love. All she wants is millet. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by