What are you feeding your Ducks?

EmAbTo48

Songster
8 Years
Jul 9, 2011
Northern Wisconsin
I have acquired 4 new ducks a male and female mallard and a female and male Pekin. They free range all day eating, bugs, grass, anything they want but they do not touch my feed from the store its purina crumbles. I have had them for a week and they only have taken some cracked corn from me. They appear to be fine, but I am wondering if they are finding enough food. There old owner had a trout stream they basically lived by so I am wondering if they consumed fish? Or even alage? We only have 2 smaller ponds.

What are your ducks eating most of? If I have to get fish or some pond plants I will.

ducks love cracked corn thats why there eating it from you i feed mine non-medicated chicken feed and they love it i mix it with cracked corn and they eat it like crazy so most likely if there not eating it then there eating alot of bugs and insects.Etc they will be fine ducks are smarter then chickens and even if domestic have instincts Just in case
wink.png

AnDrEw&Cole :

i feed mine non-medicated chicken feed and they love it i mix it with cracked corn and they eat it like crazy

x2​

I fed ours DUMOR 20% non-medicated starter until about 4-5 weeks of age then DUMOR 16% Grower/Finisher and will switch to a layer formula once they starting laying eggs. I do give them a little scratch grain here and there. I also try to add some brewers yeast to the feed about once every 1 - 2 weeks.

Thanks for the answers! The purina I have is a non medicated duck feed comes in a brown like sac from our local feed mill... I mix it with the cracked corn. Its a grower/finisher since the ducks I got our adults. I assume your right if they were starving I am sure they would eat it
smile.png
!!

Just is different to my other pekins I had they ate the stuff like crazy!!

I feed my ducks Mazuri waterfowl starter, but you're right: if given the choice, they will always choose treats over their "kibble." Even though they love treats and it's fun to spoil them, I try to resist at least some of the time so I know they get some kibble into them.

Back
Top Bottom