What are you feeding your Ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by EmAbTo48, Jul 11, 2011.

1. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    I have acquired 4 new ducks a male and female mallard and a female and male Pekin. They free range all day eating, bugs, grass, anything they want but they do not touch my feed from the store its purina crumbles. I have had them for a week and they only have taken some cracked corn from me. They appear to be fine, but I am wondering if they are finding enough food. There old owner had a trout stream they basically lived by so I am wondering if they consumed fish? Or even alage? We only have 2 smaller ponds.

What are your ducks eating most of? If I have to get fish or some pond plants I will.

2. AnDrEw&Cole

AnDrEw&Cole Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    ducks love cracked corn thats why there eating it from you i feed mine non-medicated chicken feed and they love it i mix it with cracked corn and they eat it like crazy so most likely if there not eating it then there eating alot of bugs and insects.Etc they will be fine ducks are smarter then chickens and even if domestic have instincts Just in case [​IMG]

3. ducks_rcool329

ducks_rcool329 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Black Forest, Colorado
    they are probably getting what they need free ranging. Just make sure that you are offering food that is intended to be fed to ducks. ( chicken food is different).

4. Halion

Halion Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2011
    AnDrEw&Cole :

i feed mine non-medicated chicken feed and they love it i mix it with cracked corn and they eat it like crazy

x2​

5. Eroc1_1

Eroc1_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    I fed ours DUMOR 20% non-medicated starter until about 4-5 weeks of age then DUMOR 16% Grower/Finisher and will switch to a layer formula once they starting laying eggs. I do give them a little scratch grain here and there. I also try to add some brewers yeast to the feed about once every 1 - 2 weeks.

6. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    Thanks for the answers! The purina I have is a non medicated duck feed comes in a brown like sac from our local feed mill... I mix it with the cracked corn. Its a grower/finisher since the ducks I got our adults. I assume your right if they were starving I am sure they would eat it [​IMG]!!

Just is different to my other pekins I had they ate the stuff like crazy!!

7. lovesgliders

lovesgliders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Maine
    I feed my ducks Mazuri waterfowl starter, but you're right: if given the choice, they will always choose treats over their "kibble." Even though they love treats and it's fun to spoil them, I try to resist at least some of the time so I know they get some kibble into them.

8. agregg15

agregg15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Connecticut
    Quote:X2

9. ducks_rcool329

ducks_rcool329 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Black Forest, Colorado
    Quote:I do the same except I use Nutrena Grower ( its the only thing available at our feed store)
    i think the extra protein helps them do better in our harsh winters [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by