What are you feeding your flocks? Do you have any illnesses or Vitamin Deficiency in your Flock that

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by JennieRD, Oct 10, 2014.

1. JennieRD

JennieRD Chillin' With My Peeps

I recently changed feeds from Purina Poultry to Lone Star Poultry Feeds, after three weeks on the new feed a 9 week old Splash Orpington has developed rickets forcing me to provide Supplemental Vitamin D3 (Nutri Drench). None of my others show any signs of illness, but as a precaution I am treating all for a Vitamin D3 Deficiency in a water soluble powder, while the one with Rickets has been separated from the flock of juveniles and is being given an oral dose daily, along with supplemental shell and grit..

I was just wondering, if anyone else on other various feeds are having similar issues related to Vitamin Deficiencies "possibly" related to feed issues in the young and old pullets, hens, cockerels, or roosters? Here is a list of some deficiencies. The objective is not to bash feeds, because young chicks are a result of their parents feed intake, if the parent has been deprived of some basic nutrients, the hatching chicks will show signs of the deficiencies. I am looking at it from different angels, breed type, region, caged, free range, ect. Until now I have had a healthy flock with exception to expected illnesses and injuries.

Fat Soluble Vitamins
    Vitamin A
    Decreased egg production, weakness and lack of growth
    Vitamin D Thin shelled eggs, reduced egg production, retarded growth, rickets
    Vitamin E Enlarged hocks, encephalomalacia (crazy chick disease)
    Vitamin K Prolonged blood clotting, intramuscular bleeding​

Water Soluble Vitamins
    Thiamine (B1)
    Loss of appetite and death
    Riboflavin (B2) Curly-toe paralysis, poor growth and poor egg production
    Pantothenic Acid Dermatitis and lesions on mouth and feet
    Niacin Bowed legs, inflammation of tongue and mouth cavity
    Choline Poor growth, fatty liver, decreased egg production
    Vitamin B12 Anaemia, poor growth, embryonic mortality
    Folic Acid Poor growth, anaemia, poor feathering and egg production
    Biotin Dermatitis on feet and around eyes and beak​

2. chickenlover09

chickenlover09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2014
    I've been feeding mine the Star- Milling All Purpose Mash, without any problems. (they haven't started laying yet though) They get a boiled egg a few times a week, they free range in my backyard for about 1 hour every day (I only have 6 chickens, and their coop has room for 3 more. They have loads of space to run around) and eat lots of grass and bugs and they get mealworms as a treat.

They haven't had any health issues on this diet, and I haven't lost any birds.

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I feed a game bird feed to all my fowl and I haven't had a problem with any vitamin or mineral deficiencies.
    I feed a 30% protein starter, 20% grower and a 20% breeder.

For the list vitamins and there signs of deficiencies here is a little better list that has more signs and over all health problems.

Quote:

4. JennieRD

JennieRD Chillin' With My Peeps

Great piece! Thank you, it was definitely more informative, I was a scavenger hunt to locate the data I found in the table I posted! Has anyone had positive results using Vitamin Supplements for Rickets or any other condition? If so what form of Supplement (Oral Daily or Powder Water Soluble) and how long did it take for the chick / pullet / hen take to recover or did it recover at all?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by