What are you guys doing to get your chkckens laying in the winter?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by UncleDougsChickens, Dec 13, 2018.

1. UncleDougsChickens

UncleDougsChickens Chirping

Nov 18, 2017
    I have 5 2 year old RiR, and 3 almost 1 year old buff orpington. The 5 RiR havent layed since around Oct when they started molting. I thought after they stopped molting (which they seem to have finished) they would start laying again. I only get eggs from the 3 buff orpington chickens. Any tricks to get the engines going again? I read people swear by peppers or spicy food but that didnt seem to work. They already have a light in the house to increase daylight hours. They're getting a lot of good nutrition, water and calcium to support egg laying but it just seems like they wanna be on vacation until it warms up then they'll start again. :confused:

Ducksandchickens and LlamaGirl4 like this.
  2. LlamaGirl4

LlamaGirl4 Crowing

Nov 2, 2018
    NW Ohio
    I have 3 lights in my coop that produce warmth and extra light at night. I only get about 50 eggs a day with 66 laying hens. I keep lights in bc I sell my eggs and take them to farmers markets

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Crossing the Road

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Your house older hens are at that age where production starts slowing down. They molt, they need to regrow their feathers and their now slowing down hormones need to kick in. Each year it seems to take longer to start laying after a molt, and the lay fewer and fewer eggs.

4. Chickassan

Chickassan Wattle Fondler

Nothing, absolutly nothing. Mine are on hiatus and I figure they'll get back to it when they're ready. I know nothing about laying eggs, iv'e got to trust the girls know what they are doing.:)

5. UncleDougsChickens

Nov 18, 2017
    Hehe only 50 eggs. If i got 50 eggs a day i wouldnt know what to do with them all.

LlamaGirl4 likes this.
  6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How are you managing your lights?
    On a timer...for how many hours a day.

What all and how exactly are you feeding?

Has nothing to do with 'warmth' but....
    Where in this world are you located?
    Climate is almost always a factor.
    Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
    It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
    upload_2018-12-13_10-52-57.png

Aceoky, bobbi-j and LlamaGirl4 like this.
  7. LlamaGirl4

LlamaGirl4 Crowing

Nov 2, 2018
    NW Ohio
    Lol ya i know. ONLY 50 a day :lau: I have 2 separate refrigerators in my basement just for eggs. We sell about 100 every Thursday at a local farmers market. We give about 4 dozen eggs to neighbors and friends monthly. A lot go to our church. The rest go in my tummy!

8. UncleDougsChickens

Nov 18, 2017
    East coast US, the light is on from about 6pm to 9pm. I feed them all purina layena laying crumbles and some mixed wild seeds from some brand called durmer (forget the name). Ontop of that i give them treats like corn meat like turkey beef. Mostly they eat the laying crumbles.

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Isn't it already dark by 6pm?

I'd suggest setting your timer
    (you're using a timer to control the lights, right?)
    to come on about 4am and go off about 2-3pm.

I'd cut out the 'wild seeds' but keep giving the meat.

10. UncleDougsChickens

Nov 18, 2017
    The light is light sensitive so it comes on when its "dark enough" and turns off when it runs out of charge so i estimated about 6-9pm but it could be a little earlier. So, im not sure i would call it a feature but its basically a built in timer i guess. The birds always come out of the house as soon as the sun comes up and when the coop light comes on they go inside right away so theyre in the light from about 630am to 9pm at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: