What are you planning for spring???

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by willowbranchfarm, Feb 23, 2012.

1. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    I'm going to buy another coop and get some Dutch Bantams and Silkies. Yay I'm so excited. I'm sure a lot of you are hatching. I love spring.

2. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    I have 24 heritage RIRs in the bator right now on day 8. [​IMG]

3. willowbranchfarm

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Yay that's awesome. Good luck :)

4. rrrmamma

rrrmamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2010
    New Concord,Ohio
    I plan to expand my current coop and get some BCM's and possibly a few buckeyes. We are also looking into milk goats and some Scottish Highland Cattle. We want to grow enough produce to stock the pantry for the year so the raised bed gardens will have lots of Peppers, tomatoes, green beans, eggplant, squash etc. I can and dehydrate our garden produce. My DH has all the parts to install a wind turbine to provide electricity for the house. All he needs to do is put up the tower to install it on. This should be an exciting spring!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. willowbranchfarm

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Wow that's exciting. I hope you have a great spring.

6. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    That's exciting! I'd love to get a wind turbine here. We also have Scottish Highland cattle and BCMs although the BCMs are not really good layers, maybe 3-4 eggs/week so even though the eggs are great, they will be leaving here soon. We also grow an heirloom garden. You might want a few guineas. They seem to take care of all the bugs in the garden. Just a thought. Good Luck

7. swampducks

swampducks Overrun With Guineas

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    Not planning much other than getting some new chickens. Don't have any right now, the ones I had stopped laying back in the summer, the rooster and a couple hens got grabbed by a fox. Oh, I intend on putting in a better fence. It will have to enclose a smaller area because it ain't cheap, and I need DH's help. He thought it was mainly for the dogs as they keep crawling under the rusty field fence we have now. (He wanted me to get one of those transmitter to shock collar deals, less work for him). Plus the puppy jumps over it since it's only 30" tall. The fox goes through a hole in the front I didn't know was there, till too late. So taller fence, at least 4 foot, surrounding the front and side yard. When I explained to DH it may thwart the fox he stopped protesting so much.

My lone Muscovy pair hatched 9 ducklings this week, I'm hoping to keep another female, maybe two. Going to incubate some guinea eggs and I've got 25 chicks on order coming first week in June. Ordered too late to get them earlier. Trying some dark cornish, blue laced red wyandottes, some dominiques and a couple buckeye hens which I used to have and really liked.

Then there's the veggie garden, of course, and I bought 3 blueberry bushes. I think that's enough.[​IMG]

8. willowbranchfarm

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    You've got your hands full for spring.

9. Orpingtons4U

Orpingtons4U Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    Central Virginia
    I am hoping to get Bantam Cochins or some BLRW from Erin hehe or Sussex and some Rabbits

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  10. lets see, plating a huge garden, growing potted flowers to sell, building an incubator, building another huge coop for our expanding population, oh boy! so much to do.. oh and breeding our rabbits..

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by