1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What are you using?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Petej, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Petej

Petej Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    Just curious as to what people are using for their incubator set-ups.

Here is mine:
    GQF Hova-Bator model 1582 with a 1611 Turner.

[​IMG]

I don't have a hygrometer yet, but I do have a thermometer in it. I tried several different ones, and none of them agreed with each other. So I went with the outdoor sensor for my in/outdoor thermometer, since I know it's pretty much dead on...

[​IMG]

I currently have a Little Giant Bator that I was using until the egg turner quit. [​IMG] This is now my Lockdown Bator, since I have more than one batch of eggs in the other one.

[​IMG]
    This picture was taken while I was still using this as my primary incubator.

I have looked at the incubator pages here on BYC and that seems to have helped me a lot. But I would still love some personal input!

So that being said, lets see them!

2. chickendude1

chickendude1 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2010
    Morganton North Carolina
    I just bought a Sportsmen Incubator model 1502 hugest incubator ever. It can hold like 100 eggs lol. I also have a little giant witch worked ok for awhile. [​IMG]

3. Petej

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    I can't seem to get the little giant to reach that 99 degree sweet spot. It's either 100 or 98. Grrr....

It should work for lockdown though....

It took a few days, but I think I got the hova-bator locked in solid now. 99.5 average. [​IMG] No higher than 101, no lower than 98.

I currently have seven chicken eggs, three of which are showing some promise, including my Americauna egg! [​IMG] There are also 10 Coturnix eggs in too. We shall see how those turn out, since I can't seem to candle them.....

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  4. chickendude1

chickendude1 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2010
    Morganton North Carolina
    100 is the best temperature for me i hope all my eggs hatch. I have silkes, quail, mixed breeds and a few other eggs 5 dozen eggs so far !!! [​IMG]

5. wilkey44

wilkey44 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2010
    Central Oklahoma
    on the LG if you are turning the nob to turn off the red light turn it back half of what your turned lets say you turn it a half turn, turn it back a 1/4 turn this will help keep from getting big jumps in temp and your best bet with the LG is to get a 100.5 and it will hold for awhile

6. Petej

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    Quote:I will try this! Like I said I have fought this thing tooth and nail....

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  7. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I use a Dickey 2x2.

[​IMG]

I think I could hatch a stone if I were to put one in there.

8. Petej

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    Nice Bator! Read: I'm Jealous!

I have some old furniture hiding around here that would work to make a home-made Bator if I have success at hatching this first batch. Most of my original batch of chickens is now gone, they candled clear at the 7 day mark. No growth.

My Americauna egg has a dark spot that appears to be growing ( I can't see well enough to see veins....), but it won't hatch until after christmas. I have some Coturnix eggs too, and they are due next week. [​IMG]

9. oldtimeway

oldtimeway Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2010
    midwest
    I have an old wood "Goshen Hatcher" It has 8 trays that hold 120 chicken eggs each. The eggs are turned by opening the door on the incubator and pulling or pusing a lever on each tray. It has a fan in the back for air circulation and a large pan on the top which can be filled by raising the top lid. There's a door in the front of the cabinet to get to the egg trays. The total unit is about two feet wide, four feet high and 4 1/2 feet deep.

I bought it about twenty years ago for a hundred bucks. For many years I kept it running from Feb to July, keeping her filled with duck and goose eggs, occasionally setting a tray or two of chicken eggs. Anymore, I fire it up for only a month or six weeks and hatch a batch of ducks and a couple batches of chicks. That's what old age does for you. Me, that is, it doesn't hurt the incubator. [​IMG]

10. mustangluvrjen

mustangluvrjen Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    South Cakilaki
    I started off using homemade bator but once temps outside started dropping below freezing my temps in bator were all over the place. I couldn't stomach any more and went to TSC to purchase a LG. I put my fan in it from my homemade bator and tuned in the temp I wanted and it hasn't budged. Maybe I have the magic touch(doubt it) but I haven't had any problems w/ LG as of yet. Staying 99.5 w/ humidity 55-60% for 5 duck eggs. 15 more days to go [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by