What are you willing to pay?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cptbahama, Jun 19, 2011.

1. cptbahama

cptbahama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    augusta, georgia
    If you're not handy and/or just don't have the time or don't want to mess with it.
    What are you willing to pay for a very nice chicken coop, built on-site at your chosen location, finished, painted, with all the frills and as predator-proof as humanly possible? Think permanent structure, nice enough that one day it would add to the curb appeal of your property (if you were to sell). Approximately large enough to comfortably house 10 standard hens.
    What are you willing to pay for this?

2. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    We started out thinking that 10 chickens would be a good number, but then 15 was the minimum order, and well, you know the rest - 22 chickens later, we needed a coop that was big enough, and even so, I am not so sure ours is the optimum size.

So, I found one I liked and it was $2000 delivered, but found out on this forum that the coop was not a good deal, and not well made. We ended up building one from scratch based on designs we found here. We will probably end up spending about $2500 on the coop when all is said and done. It does add curb appeal - my neighbors are very happy with the design. And I think the peeps will be, too. Rain today has prevented us from working on it - but hope to have the birds moved this week.

What I guess I am saying is that you might get someone locally who comes with great recommendations and can build it for you on site.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=90403-coop

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  3. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    i dont know but im going through this decision right now.

we thought we were super awesome and thrifty by building the coop into the mudroom of our home, but now were kicking ourselves in the teeth because we are moving in two weeks and we cant possibly bring the mudroom with us.

Im so frustrated by how much money i need to come up with in the next two weeks to keep my 7 girls safe when we move. I have no clue how im going to do it. I honestly think these ladies are just going to have to take up in the garage during the nights, which is going to be a lot of clean up for me.

If i had the money, id pay close to 900 for a 12 hen coop. UNFORTUNATELY..... well, you know.

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Honestly, it's much cheaper to build one. We have a 12x5x8 room in the garage with a 20x5x5 run outside the garage for our 8 chicks. The wire cost the most, but our entire coop cost around $250 or less for the wire, wood, light, and insulation. That's a good size coop for the price. We used a sturdy wire under the chicken wire. Our coop is 100% predator proof with both entry doors closed, which is what we strived for. It took my husband 2 days to build the coop and 2 days to build the run.

We used all new materials for the coop.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  5. cptbahama

Jan 13, 2011
    augusta, georgia
    I built our coop. What I'm trying to do is get a feel of what the average person would pay for a well-built coop. There are a couple companies near where I live that build coops for the backyard chicken owner. They charge pretty big tickets. I've considered entering the market as one of their competitors.

6. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    wow cpt you have a really nice safe coop! Very well done. If I didn't have hubby and FIL to make mine I would pay for that. I have seen ones like these go upwards of 2-3 grand and knowing that it keeps critters out prob the higher end of that. AND it's VERY cute!

7. farmgirlforever18

farmgirlforever18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Dublin TEXAS
    i would say it depends on how many birds youÂ’re going to have i just built mine because i have 25+ hens not even counting the bantams and for me it would be much cheaper to build myself then two buy one for 1000 or more but thats just me [​IMG]

8. PeepsInc

PeepsInc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    NY Tri State region
    If you hire some one that knows what there doing, you can get a quality product custom made to your own specs. Be sure to ask fore 5/8 T 1/11 for siding. Also make sure they frame with galvanized nails, & put the siding on with stainless nails so rust doesn't bleed down your paint job. You can spend a couple $100 or a couple$1000 & have a good coop either way. depends how much you wanna spend.. I built these out of scrap lumber, in 1 day. But I have all the toys to make the job easy. The large A frame can be built from 2 sheets of ply, 9 2x4's, 4 hinges, & a roll of wire. I designed it to be the cheapest, strongest, coop I could build. The little dutch barn was a bit more entailed, yet still cheep to build. It has 4 egg boxes.
    I would guess to buy all the materials, it could be done for under $100 a piece. Not including labor.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Daphnetree

Daphnetree New Egg

Apr 28, 2011
    Eugene, Oregon
    I have no building experience and so rely on outside help. I looked at and priced a number of chicken coops in my area, I ended up with a prefab coop with some custom changes. The coop is 5x8 and big enough for 10 chickens, I had a chicken "tack" room built to store feed and treats that is an additional 5x5. It is all cedar and cost me 1,200.00 I am having a custom run built next week that will double as a grape arbor, because I am using 4x4 cedar and want it to look nice it will end up costing me about another 800.00 between materials and labor, so about two grand for the whole thing. I went to the chickencoopstore.com. The owner Tristin is very nice, but I had a few issues with the design, the roosts were not high enough, and he had to come back, and some of the design features I wanted I did not get. In hindsight, for the amount of money I spent i wish I would gotten a design I wanted and hired a carpenter, I think I could have saved money and gotten something a bit more customized then working with an existing coop store. Hindsight is always 20/20. The cedar looks great and I am going to stain it soon, and it will look even better.

10. cptbahama

Jan 13, 2011
    augusta, georgia
    PeepsInc:

I built our coop. What I'm trying to do is get a feel of what the average person would pay for a well-built coop. There are a couple companies near where I live that build coops for the backyard chicken owner. They charge pretty big tickets. I've considered entering the market as one of their competitors.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by