What are your "away from home" plans with your chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by harleyjo, Jun 26, 2011.

1. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    Every now and then I have an occassion where I need to be away from home for a few days. What are your ideas for the chickens being able to take care of themselves for a couple of days or can they?

2. JLS

JLS Love my feathered babies!

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
    I try to have someone come once a day to collect the eggs and check on things when I have to go for a few days. I guess they could be left unattended to if they were secured and overstocked with food and water but I wouldnt do that unless it was absolutely the last resort! My other concern would be the temps. It is easy for a coop to overheat.

When I have had people check on my flock I tell them that they can keep any eggs they find for their help [​IMG] It works well for me.

3. ChickenBrik

ChickenBrik Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    Lyman, Maine
    We ask friends who either have chickens or actually like to hear my chicken stories to stop in once every other day to check feed, water, and collect eggs. I know their water will last 2 days, hence the every other day check in. I too offer them to keep the eggs, this makes my non-chicken-owning friends quite pleased.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by