what are your chickens favorite treats?

Abriana

Spicy Sugar Cookie
6 Years
Apr 26, 2017
The moon
My chickens love: Egg, bread, cheese, cabbage, whole salads gone bad in the fridge (not moldy or totally rotten), peach, apple, clover, yogurt, and any type of meat.

My chickens love just about anything I throw in. Especially frozen corn when it's hot outside. I've also given them strawberries, raspberries, peaches, and a few peas.

I am suppose to give them treats?????? LOL

Mine do get that "Bad for them table scraps" some times, bread, collards, all the deer/hog processing bones to pick clean. A cooked Coon or possum some times for them if I have time when I catch one in the trap next to their pen(I tell them, this came to eat you, instead you can eat it), right now its lots of cooked vegetables(squash, cucumbers, zucchini, some greens thrown in the pot with the rest---I bring big pots of this chopped up to a boil for a little, cut it off and let it set over night with the lid on---5 gallon buckets full divided in the pens. They all love it, chickens, hogs, dog and cats eat it. I grow these vegetables for them, have a commercial slicer---takes about 2 minutes to have it cut up in a big rest. type pot---let it come to a boil while I am feeding up---feed it to them the next morning---some with bread mixed in, some with some feed mixed in. Treated Like a King---I guess!!

My meat Cockrells love anything and everything I've given them- bread, lettuce, scrambled eggs, a (very ripe) tomato, cucumber, but they especially like melon and melon rinds (they strip it down to the thin outer skin).
My hens are more picky, but they like frozen berries and peas in a dish of water when it's hot, cucumber, some melon (but not the rind as well as the males do) and of course meal worms!
I also have a hen that had some feather damage, so I occasionally give her a hard cooked egg mashed up with a little garlic and oregano for extra protein and she LOVES it.

My chickens love watermelon too. It's pretty funny to watch the pullets who have never had watermelon before. They kind of look at it sideways, take a careful bite, and then go nuts trying to get some without getting pecked by the hens.

Back
Top Bottom